Old 07-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
Admiral

Default Water in the gas

I have spent a week wondering what happened ? Went out on a Saturday cruise and limped back on my port engine. No power steering either. I have had a choke problem on my starboard engine so I thought that might be the problem . While çruising along at 4000 rpms the right engine died. It would start but would stay running on my 5.0L. Well long story short about 2 cups of water came out, 2 cans of heet, 8 water separaters to get that side clean. The port side engine ran great but they changes all the filters to be safe.

Now back up to June 18th when I got gas at my marina that I get gas all the time. The starboard side got filled first then the port side. So that doesn't make sense. You might think I got the bottom of the tank but that would of made the port side bad in which it didnt. Talked to the manager at the marina and no one had had any problems.

Checked the gas caps. Spun on tight with a good rubber casket intacted.

So I'm glad it's running with no other issues but wonder ,wonder where the water came from . I do the stabil relegionously , no ethenol gas has ever been used. So moving on .....going to change the water separaters filters in about 2 weeks to double check.

Any thoughts ?

Roger- 2001 Maxum 3000 screen -twin 5.0L carbs -bravo ll s

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
Admiral

Like your boats gas tank the marine tanks draw from the bottom where the water would be so I would expect the starboard tank to have water if that was the source. BTY no marina I know will confess to selling contaiminated fuel.

What is the condition of the tanks vent? Could water spray be getting in that way?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
Admiral

Yeah Mike the manager at the marina's answer did not surprise me. I'll look at the vents.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote