Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Water in forward bilge??

I think I have a serious problem with water the forward bilge of my 2002 2900SCR. After coming in from a day on the lake, the carpet in the galley was soaked and I had water in the forrward bilge and under the port side access panels in the rear berth. Could all this water be from a/c condensate? please help. This boat is new to me

DFD L30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
Admiral

welcome to the zoo...kinda hard to tell you what is going on since I don't know what kind of water your in..what kind of water you were in...ie big waves..was it raining and the water coming in a rub rail or was this water from the engine bay...

the ac system should vent overboard..not into the bilge...unless the line came off for the exhaust....etc....more info will probably help alot..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

DFD, although I have a 2400SCR, I too have battled with water soaking the galley floor and carpet periodically, including the forward bilge hatch under my table. It is salt water which could be from any of 3 sources; 1. through hull, 2. head intake, 3. a/c intake. It's not a rampant incoming leak, so not alarmed by it by any means, it's just been a nuisance to have to suck out with a shop vac every other week.

After serious process of elimination and still not sure where it's eminating from, I did find that the forward bilge is connected to the aft bilge (engine compartment). When the aft bilge level is too high, the water seeps forward under the galley floorboards and makes it's way into the front dining area hatch. After really sucking out the water from the aft bilge at the pump out station I noticed that the galley kitchen was dry as a bone. What that indicated to me was that I had to lower the aft bilge pump to the lowest point possible. The stock setup was on a ledge fore/under the engine, but yesterday I extended the bilge pump hose, and relocated the bilge pump right where the through hulls are in front of the engine at the lowest point possible. I used tape guides on the drill bits so as not to drill through the hull for obvious reasons.

That's the band aid on the problem but at least it should save the galley floorboards, etc. Next step will be to change all the sea water lines to head and a/c. After that is anyone's guess.

Post what you find. Tom.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
Ensign

Found the source of my water problem, turns out there was a pinhole in my water heater. Water was slowly but constanly making it's way to the forward bilge via the galley carpet. Thanks for your replies.
DFD L30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Admiral

boy..didn't see that one coming...thanks for the report out...

sp
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote