Old 11-10-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Water in aft cabin - Maxum 2400 SCR

Hey Y'all,

Hope you are having a fine Fall and staying dry.

Speaking of which, my boat is staying dry, except for this one weird place in the aft cabin. This is the Maxum 2400 SCR, so it has a little berth under the helm that I'm calling the "aft cabin" because it sounds so spacious lol. It's not.

I have a full enclosure and just got a full canvas cover for the boat, however it's still acquiring water in this one place. There is no visible moisture on deck, anywhere under the enclosure or on the gunnels. But this water has to be coming from somewhere. I'd say it's condensation, but it seems to be way too much water for that?

Starboard side, I guess I'd call it a headboard, or above where your head would be if you were sleeping. It's a horizontal place against the far starboard hull (at least I think it's against the hull). The way it's shaped, it seems like it might be the inside of a hull strake, as it comes out toward you for maybe 6" and then drops down again with the rest of the hull.

Last night there was maybe 1/4" of water sitting there on that horizontal "strake" for lack of a better term. It's carpeted. I fear that over the winter it's just going to become a mildew factory.

I don't see any thru hulls or anything there. I thought it might be related to the fastener points for the radar arch, there do appear to be a couple missing fasteners there, but wow the rain would have to be coming sideways I'd think in order for it to enter there. Even then, those are now mostly covered by the boat cover.

I thought it might be a leak from the head sink maybe. But I don't have much visibility without pulling out the fridge, which I'd rather not do, and it seems unlikely anyways but wanted to grab your thoughts on this.

Wondering if there's some weird off chance that this could be a strake that runs the length of the boat, and maybe getting water at the very stern that isn't well covered, and that water is making it's way along that strake to the aft cabin? There is one hole that's maybe 2 1/2" to 3" at the very stern, starboard corner, looks like it could be either a drain hole or maybe a flag pole holder or something. It's been open because my full enclosure doesn't quite cover that, I thought maybe that was intentional because it's a drain or something. And the boat cover doesn't quite reach that far back either.

Right now I have a box fan pointed at the wetness and hoping that will help to dry it out. I have an Eva-Dry EDV-4000 in the main cabin and it seems to be keeping that part of the boat at 50 degrees relative humidity. But I don't think it does as well in the aft cabin (haven't tested the humidity there yet).

Anyways love y'all and hope you can provide me some insight on this vexing issue.

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:32 PM   #2
Admiral

There is an access panel there to get at the wiring and cables going to the helm. you may want to remove it to see it you can spot the leak. The mid cleat is also in this area and the beading may be leaking around it. I also have my VHF antenna mount on that side so that could be another source if yours is there as well.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:04 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks Mike! Yeah I have the antenna over there as well. That access panel is above the area I'm looking at, and panel and the area around it are not wet, but I suppose opening that back up and reaching over to the hull might tell me if the water is coming down the hull in that area.

It's just weird, though, because as far as I can tell from the outside, that whole area is covered and there's no water running on that gunnel. I was thinking maybe there's a repository of water somewhere that get sloshed when we have high winds or something, maybe that is doing it.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:17 PM   #4
Admiral

A picture or two might help us.

Mike
Old 11-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #5

It's more than likely coming in through something bolted or screwed above it. Antennae mount, antennae wire, cleat, rail stanchion, horn, arch, etc. The water is simply where it's collecting.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:37 PM   #6
Lt. JG

[IMG[/IMG]Hi All,

Reviving this old thread, as it's the same issue. Wondering if this hole at the stern (see link to pic) could be related to the water leak issue described above. Also what is this hole for, and should it remain open to the air / rain, etc

Thanks as always!

Trying to insert image using the IMG tag...

But here's link in case the IMG didn't come thru

Additionally, wondering if water can get inside the boat if these black seals under the windows are really old and soft?
Old 01-22-2022, 09:49 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Ok my links are there but they are not visible. Trying again:

Hole at stern: https://photos.app.goo.gl/yuGaX3RucZrEoFSv6

Black seals under starboard windows:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8DKzE2tBidRXY2vY9
Old 01-22-2022, 10:22 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post
Ok my links are there but they are not visible. Trying again:

Hole at stern: https://photos.app.goo.gl/yuGaX3RucZrEoFSv6

Black seals under starboard windows:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8DKzE2tBidRXY2vY9
The first link is some PO added item which would allow water into the engine compartment but not the aft cabin. The second picture is the weep hole to allow water on the inside of the side window to exit but doesn't go into the lower cabin.

Mike
Old 01-22-2022, 11:42 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Thanks Mike.

Any idea what the bigger hole at the stern would be for, and is it something I should be plugging up?

Also, what I was trying to show with the second link was not the weep hole, but the black seal under the window... it seems really soft and just wondering if that seal is compromised, could it allow water inside the boat?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2022, 11:50 AM   #10
Admiral

I really don’t know what that hole in the first picture is for but my guess is an umbrella mount. Yes if the foam seal under the window is leaking that may be a source of water intrusion. The foam should be soft.

Mike
Old 05-01-2022, 12:28 AM   #11
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
I really don’t know what that hole in the first picture is for but my guess is an umbrella mount. Yes if the foam seal under the window is leaking that may be a source of water intrusion. The foam should be soft.
Thanks Mike. I just traced that hole down into the ER, and it's a pipe that bends down to an open hole near the floor of the ER, almost as if someone was trying to add additional venting or something. So weird, because the blower vent opening is right there. Maybe an additional fresh air intake? But I think that rules out umbrella mount.

I siliconed every potential suspect on that side of the boat, and still have some moisture entry, so I think it might be the window seal. Ugh. I wonder how much that will cost to replace, or what's involved.

Thanks again for your thoughts!
Old 05-01-2022, 03:28 PM   #12
Lt. JG

You may find some useful information here:

https://www.yachtsurvey.com/dealing_with_leaks.htm
wiigelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:20 PM   #13
Lt. JG

Thanks. Good information.

Yikes. Re bedding everything sounds painful.

I'm not sure I agree with the author that silicone simply doesn't work for stopping leaks. From what I've read elsewhere, the right silicone will work, but not forever. Probably have to reapply annually. I'm using 3M marine grade silicone sealant, so it isn't pure silicone anyways.

Then again, my leaks are not completely stopped yet lol ��

I do have the antenna mount on that side, which looks non-stock; someone else mentioned that was the cause on their boat. Perhaps pulling and re bedding that (it doesn't really look bedded anyways).