Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Water Heater Question

2002 2700 SCR. The water heater is not working. I removed the small faceplate looking for a reset button, but didn't see anything. I was going to put a meter on to check for power, but the battery was dead!!! Anyway, is there for sure a red reset but on these things?

Thanks!!!

bmetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #2

The water heater doesn't work on 12volt. It works on shore power. Most have the ability to be connected to the raw water cooling side of the engine and the hot water from the engine coolant is run through the water heater, essentially using the water heater like a heat sync/heat exchanger. In this case, instead of cooling the raw coolant from the engine, the raw water coolant is used to heat the water in the hot water tank. Obviously the raw water coolant from the engine is kept seperate from the potable water.

I would make sure the shore power is connected. I would then make sure there is power to the AC panel. Then make sure the water heater breaker is turned on. I would not turn on the hot water heater unless the water heater was full. All you would need to do is make sure there is water in the water tank, then open the hot water side of the tap at the faucet until water runs out. The pressure water pump will automatically fill the hot water tank. Opening the hot side of the faucet only moves water from the hot water tank to the faucet. However if water is coming out of the hot side, then it is full in the tank.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Yep, connected to shore power, AC is running. Tank is full and switch is on.

Is there a reset switch on these things??
bmetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #4

I have 2 shorepower connections on the boat and two mains on a split bus. One side is A/C, the other side is everything else, including the hot water heater. I apologize for what seems to be the run around, but the first post stated you were going to check the water heater with a volt meter, but the battery was dead. Did you mean the battery in the volt meter?? that would be different and make more sense. Do you only have a single shore power connection?

I would assume that the there is an onboard breaker or fuse on the hot water heater. I would start looking for where the hardwired power supply goes into the water heater. There should be an access panel there or possibly the entire outer case needs to come off. slap a new 9volt battery in the volt meter and test the power going to the hot water heater, or see if there is a fuse or breaker in there. Just my .02
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:40 AM   #5
Lt. JG

No reset on the heater. It's the element. I have a 2001 2700 and my header has the mounting bracket over the element. Need to take out the four screws and pull it out. Any RV store will have the element. Under $20. Mine was the square mount element. Takes a few hours but not hard. Also gives you a chance to really clean out the tank.
the19hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Admiral

there is no reset button on these marine/rv heaters...however there are two temp sensors there..check to see if they are burnt....if they are..the sensors blew out...as a matter of fact..they are cheap enough..I'd go ahead and replace those....just pull the contacts apart from the sensors....

the other thing it cold be is the element...if you ever ran it dry and turned pwr on...you could have burned out the element....you'll have to drain the tank..but removal is really easy..remember to use teflon tape on the threads when you put the new one on...take it out and go to your local hardware store and match it up..it's 120vac and they have them for something like 20 bucks...a new marine/rv one will cost easily 3 times that...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote