Old 07-31-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
Admiral

Default Wake Boat Rant

We typically avoid the lake during the summer months due to the crowds and the idiots but made a trip up last week to meet up with some friends that were coming to the lake for the first time and asked me to show them around. So we launch both cruisers, run up lake to Last Chance and find a nice beach to call home for the night. We get anchored up and break out the grills to enjoy some happy hour treats and a couple drinks thinking we had found a nice quiet cove to relax and enjoy the peace and views but we were WRONG....

Around the corner comes a wake boat with the stereo blaring and they proceeded to run laps in the cove for over and hour rocking our cruisers with their wake to the point food and drinks were falling of the tables if not held on too... It was NOT the experience I wanted to show new lake visitors.

We tried to get their attention but they just ignored us.

The idiots have to realize the wakes are destructive / annoyance since they don't surf in the cove they camp in.

Anyone else annoyed by this activity in your areas??

This is the primary reason we go to the lake in the Fall and Spring. This is a reoccurring event and becoming more common each trip.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:13 PM   #2
Captain

GREAT RANT! People need to know that they are responsible for the damage they do with there wake!
We also do our main boating in the spring before school lets out and in the fall after Labor Day as there are a lot less IDIOTS out there
We usually only go out on week days.
A call to you local law enforcement with the reg. numbers should take care of the problem
That is of coarse if you have a water patrol on the lake.
Don

2012 South Bay Pontoon
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:09 AM   #3
Admiral

When you're 60 miles up lake calling the National Park Rangers does no good... They never leave the marina. Plus chances are you could never get a call out to them... We communicate via Text message with friends for that split second where you get cell service the text will send/receive.... I keep the VHF on to relay Mayday calls when possible. It becomes a network of boaters relaying the message down lake to the park service.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:33 AM   #4
Captain

I have not boated in an area that does not have cell or VHF coverage so I can only guess as to how long it would take to get someone out to solve the problem.
But I guess I will find out as we are packing up to move to Duluth Mn.
Lots of lakes close by and only 11 miles to a launch ramp on Lake Superior.
Don
2012 South Bay Pontoon
donald is offline   Reply With Quote