Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Ensign

Default VacuFlush Woes

00 2700SCR, vacuflush stopped working the other night. I ran out of water and the pump was running constantly for about an hour before I could get the water tank filled. Afterwards it operated normally...twice..and now its dead. Water comes into the unit just fine, but nothing from the vacuum pump.

The owners manual says to check the inline fuse to the pump, but I don't know where that is located.

Any advice much appreciated.

- DH

dhawthrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Admiral

there should be a fuse along the power leads or up in the dash....(don't know where it is on your model yr)....but lack of water shouldn't have caused it to run constantly....I'd say that either the duck bill valves are worn out and won't hold pressure or the pressure sensor isn't working....may have to have a tech check it out....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

Constant running on MY 2001 2900SCR's vacuflush head oftentimes was (and occasionally still IS) caused by "debris" between the ball valve's rubber seal and the bowl itself (toilet paper, waste, etc...) Because it's so unpredictable/quirky, I ended up installing my own "cut-switch" from back in the pump area (engine compartment). I installed it behind the transom shower door and when we leave Endless Summer for a few days, I always remember to switch the power OFF to the toilet with my home-made cuttoff system. To assist with the pump not always running, I've also resorted to having to replace the SeaLand/Dometic toilet ball valve ring assembly about once every three seasons. I guess they just wear out, and need to be replaced---I found mine at a local RV store, cost about $50. Seems that when water escapes from the bowl, the toilet "thinks" it's being flushed, hence the constant pump running.

But I'm with Steve/SP... why it wouldn't pump at all is a mystery. It's doubtful the motor wore out when you starved it of water, but I suppose possible.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Commander

I agree with SP, lack of water shouldn't cause the pump to run. When say "its dead" I assume you mean the motor doesn't run at all. My motor ran

My circuit break for the vacuum pump motor is in the main AC/DC panel in the aft cabin. Seeing that you did get it to work a couple times I suspect either (1) the loss of power or the electric motor died. Our boat is a 1998 and gets used every weekend. I have rebuilt everything and am still using the original motor. They are pretty durable.

I rebuilt the vacuum pump last winter and this spring after I flushed it kept running. It would not stop. I flushed several times, listened everywhere for a leak and even took my finger and tripped the vacuum switch (stopped until I let go). I pulled the bellows housing and found a popcorn kernel stuck in the edge of the 1st duck bill. The second duckbill wasn't strong enough on its own to hold the vacuum. I removed the kernel and haven't had any problems since. We still eat a lot of popcorn, just keeping our fingers crossed that it does;t happen again.
dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #5
Admiral

remind me not to eat popcorn on your boat!!

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Unrelated to your plumbing problems - did you all take the boat out last weekend?

Had a brief conversation with a woman at the marina on Sunday after we got back around 5. She said they were advised (I don't know by whom) to NOT go out due to all the debris in the river so they instead stayed at the dock and cleaned the boat. It was sound advice - the river was a mess. I've never seen so little boat traffic on such a pretty day.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote