Old 03-09-2022, 03:53 PM   #1
Commander

Default Using fuel transfer pump.

We have a 'built in' (I believe after market based on helm switch lacking OEM 'labeling') transfer pump that can (I believe, never tried it) transfer fuel between port and stbd fuel tanks.

Anyone else have one / use it?

I can see it serving two purposes - first, our genny runs off the stbd tank only, and while we don't use it too many hours between fill ups, there is usually a little difference between the two tank levels. Second, when re-fueling, it's a little bit of a pain to fill both tanks - little bit of moving around, changing over my Clean Way fuel 'catcher' system, unscrewing both caps (I know 1st world problems). I'd rather just pull alongside the fuel pier, and fill the inboard tank while transferring over to the outboard tank (or at least doing the transfer prior to getting to the fuel pier).

PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:30 PM   #2
Admiral

You probably know this but if it's after market check to make sure it's marine grade....

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:26 PM   #3

I'm working on getting one installed. I have a single engine and two tanks with a passive cross-over between tanks. I have an issue where either a slight list to stabd will start drawing from the port and filling the Stbd. This gets worse once the tanks get below 1/2. I also suspect that my diesel returning is favoring one tank while drawing off the other. The longer I run, the more the disparity in tanks grows.

Currently, to fix it, I re-fuel the tank with the lower volume. I'd prefer a transfer switch for periodic balancing.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 03:10 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Paul, same boat, different year, I too have a fuel transfer switch at the helm that I've never activated. I'll check it early next week.
Jorgeinseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:06 PM   #5
Commander

Default Thanks folks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
You probably know this but if it's after market check to make sure it's marine grade....
To be honest, it never crossed my mind, but will certainly take a look tomorrow when I'm on the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgeinseal View Post
Paul, same boat, different year, I too have a fuel transfer switch at the helm that I've never activated. I'll check it early next week.
I'm gonna take a good look at mine tomorrow and make sure it's not a safety hazard to operate. Hey, it's only diesel, probably won't explode.
Old 03-11-2022, 04:54 PM   #6
Admiral

I was not aware you are diesel powered.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:14 AM   #7
Commander

Default Safety first, safety always

Quote:
Quick inspection today (I was more busy cleaning and replacing a vacuflush bellows, sh!tt% job) showed the pump to be in good shape, wiring looks good, didn't see any tags/stickers with origin info.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:53 PM   #8

Quote:
I know they made the 4100SCB in Gas, but IMHO that boat is too big to push around with gas big blocks. Even if you you went with the high torque 8.2's, which were not released at the end of the Maxum production runs. I think that boat would have come with either 7.4's or 8.1's. The Cummins option would have been the best bet for that boat, despite their initial cost.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote