Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-01-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default using a y plug adaptor for shore power

Hello to all. I have a 99 3000scr. It is not in the water yet and has been out for two years. My mechanic is going through it an inch at a time and we started it yesterday and connected shore power. The boat has two shore power connections and I believe that one is for the A/C and the other for the rest of the 110 items. What are the pros/cons of using a y adaptor so that I only have one input plug?

thanks for your word of wisdom

Bush

bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
Captain

You have 2 connections because you have 2 30 amp circuits on board. Ac is on one, water heater is on the other, but there are other things on each as well. Generally you need to hook up both lines to have full power.

Some marinas have 2 30 amp connections on the pole, some have 1 30 amp and 1 50 amp. I carry a 50 amp to 2 30 amp y cable on my 99 3000scr, and thus far every marina I have been to, I've needed to use it.

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar7r View Post
You have 2 connections because you have 2 30 amp circuits on board. Ac is on one, water heater is on the other, but there are other things on each as well. Generally you need to hook up both lines to have full power.

Some marinas have 2 30 amp connections on the pole, some have 1 30 amp and 1 50 amp. I carry a 50 amp to 2 30 amp y cable on my 99 3000scr, and thus far every marina I have been to, I've needed to use it.

Good summary.

How is the shore power set up where you plan to keep her?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
Lieutenant

I have one 30 amp plug to access. If I use a pigtail do I have to watch my load?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:00 PM   #5
Captain

Well, if your talking about pigtailing from 1 30 amp to 2 30 amps, first of all, I don't think they make those. Its inherently unsafe in that you have the potential to overload the circuit. Breakers are there to protect you from that, but you never want to design a system where if a protection failed (breaker) you could have an electrical fire due to drawing more current than the circuit is designed to handle.

That being said, at my hone dock, I made a custom cable to plug both of my 30 amp lines into a single 15 amp circuit. I only use the power at home to keep the refrigerator and battery charger on.

So yes, you would have to be very careful about what you turn on. Mainly, never the ac and water heater at the same time.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:07 AM   #6
Commander

Pigtailing 2 30-amp circuits into a single 30-amp supply is only meant for practicality, not for general use. So it's okay as long as you're mindful of how many 110 devices you have on at once. The largest and obvious draws are the a/c, electrical water heater, ice-maker, and electric stove. The not so obvious are things plugged into outlets that will draw a lot of power, items like an electric coffee maker, and electric grill, and my all time favorite that trips a breaker now and then, my wife when she uses a hair dryer after a shower. Basically, any device that creates heat draws a lot of power.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:28 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Thanks for the words of wisdom. The Keurig coffee maker will be the only real other draw.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:34 AM   #8
Admiral

One at a time and you'll be fine.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:56 AM   #9
Admiral

Look up the max current draw of all 120 V items you plan to use. Then do not use any combination of them that exceeds 30 amps.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #10

I have a 30am Y splitter. I use a single 30amp cord from a 30amp power station to the 30 amp splitter. Yes, you are correct, one side is Air Conditioning, while the other side is all the other 120VAC components.

YES, you ABSOLUTELY need to actively regulate your draw. The lions shared of draw on the 120VAC (house) side is going to be electric stove and hot water heater.

I replaced my Origo alcohol/electric stove with a Butane stove, so the stove is not an issue. I don't run my hotwater heater while the AC is running.

Air Conditioning, Hot Water, Electric Stove. Only run one at a time and you'll be fine. If you are using an electric space heater (cold climates spring and fall), then add that to the list, and hold to the 'one-at-a-time" rule and you'll be fine.

50amp shore cords and accessories are very pricey, though technically, that is the right way to do things, if you can't go with 2 x 30 amp dedicated cables.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #11
Lieutenant

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for your help. I'm sure I'll have MANY more questions once the boat is splashed.

Bush