Old 06-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Unusable Ski locker?

In my 2000 Maxum 1900 SC, there is a locker in the center of a boat that would appear to be where a normal ski locker would go. The is longer from port to starboard, instead of bow to stern. When I tried to put a ski in there, I noticed that it was no where deep enough to accept a ski. The dimensions appear to be roughly 2ft wide by 3ft deep. There are two drain holes in the locker, one coming from the bow and the other one exiting out toward the stern. This is to small to be a ski locker, but it looks to large to be a "cooler" also if you stop sudden all your beer/soda would be hard to reach as it would be under the deck. Even though I said 2ft x 3ft the door size is 22" x 8" so it seems it would be hard to reach things if they went toward the bow. Is there suppose to be sitting on the rim so you can use it as a cooler? Other wise anything that is put in there would get wet and dirty. The drain holes in it don't look like should be used as a live well.

I like a lot of the designs that were put into the boat: i.e. fold down table, steps to allow easy access to bow, many cup holders, and etc. Though this looks a little out of place for all the good designs they put in place. Thank you for any input.

-Hostage

Hostage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #2

I would guess this is either a bilge access, or a standard locker. The bilges below the sole typically have drain holes that go back to the engine compartment or the bilge furthest to the stern. This is so most of the water can drain back to the bilge pump which will most likely be mounted as far astern as you can go since this is typically the lowest point in the boat. I would expect a built in cooler to be lined in some type of platic and have an outboard drain. I would absolutelly not expect to see a cooler drain into the bilge.

So, if it's too small for a ski and oriented horizontally from gunnel to gunnel and not from bow to stern then it's not a ski locker. If it has drains from a forward bilge and to a aft bilge then it is not a cooler.

the only thing left is bilge access or a spot to store items like snorkle, swim fins, masks, anchor, line and any other items that might be wet enough to not want to store in dryer storage areas. Just one mans opinion.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
Lt. JG

I checked on Maxum's website and they too identify this as a "ski locker"

http://www.maxumboatparts.com/2000/s...s74.htm#184376
Hostage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #4

HMMM. If it was called "Water Toy Locker" in the documentation it would be perfect. This looks like a 'Marketing Feature'. As in it was probably never designed to accomodate a ski, but marketing liked the idea of having a 'ski locker' which makes it a feature.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote