Old 01-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Trim Gauge Repair

1992 Maxum 2300 w/ Merc Outboard:
While reading the other threads I was able to determine that my gauge is not the problem but rather the wire into the "pucks" - so here is what I have discovered:
*Port side wires are off completely - Remove puck cover and cleaned contacts. Removed entire puck and found moisture mixed in with the grease. Not enough wire to crimp a section and the inside is rusted from the screw that holds the wire in place so my plan is to replace entire section up to the main line (new screw, regrease, new wire and fitting). With that said the question is:
* Does it matter the type of wire? I can match the size.
* Are these wires with the correct fitting available?
* What type or kind of grease should be used inside and what areas should be covered and coated- O ring is in fine shape. I have bearing grease and marine grease already. Will they do?
It would appear the port side needs to be reassembled in the same position as it was removed to keep electric contacts in line. I removed the other side and found it to be in fair shape. Wires a little bare so I may pick up some liquid electric tape and recoat the worn areas for now. Once the cover was removed it too had water inside and was lacking some grease. Contacts are different on the starboard side and did not have any indication of concern other than some cleaning. Any insight or advise would be a great help.
Thanks
Scott

Old 01-06-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Admiral

If I have your information correctly..the port side puck is bad...water intrusion...so..with said..I'd just replace it..they are relatively cheap...when you do replace it...use tin plated wire...you want to do everything possible to keep water out of each puck...so...the grease you want to use for the o-rings is a teflon grease..axle grease and others aren't designed for this kind of environment......

steve

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
If I have your information correctly..the port side puck is bad...water intrusion...so..with said..I'd just replace it..they are relatively cheap...when you do replace it...use tin plated wire...you want to do everything possible to keep water out of each puck...so...the grease you want to use for the o-rings is a teflon grease..axle grease and others aren't designed for this kind of environment......

steve
Steve,
Cannot I not just replce the wiring, refill with grease and go?
Scott
Old 01-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
Admiral

well ...as long as there is no water damage to the contacts...then I guess you could...but why just jury rigg a repair when a replacement is easy and not all that expensive??....
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 01-07-2008, 01:25 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Quote:
well ...as long as there is no water damage to the contacts...then I guess you could...but why just jury rigg a repair when a replacement is easy and not all that expensive??....
\I'll see what I can find. You would think that with all the lakes around here there would be good parts stores or mechanics but just the opposite. Many of the places around here don't want to bother with little stuff / repairs so if I can source it on line I'll try that first.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:50 AM   #6
Admiral

give that harbor marine store a call...I'm sure they have the part or can get it for you....
a little info for you on harbor marine...I have no interest in this store..but we out here on the puget sound in the seattle area is a fishing and boating area....they have been around forever and if I can't find the part at say westmarine or boaters world...I go there...bar none they have everything...it's an old building warehouse and pretty reasonable....the guys working there have lived the sea and boats for most of thier lives..they know parts and boats from the little skiffs right up to yachts......they have everything on the floor...when I got my boat I told the guy what I had..the windlass model I have...the weight of the boat and he set me up with a full up rode and anchor system....even helped me load it into my truck....so...that's my sales pitch...
hope this helps....
Steve
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 01-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Lt. JG

Quote:
give that harbor marine store a call...I'm sure they have the part or can get it for you....
a little info for you on harbor marine...I have no interest in this store..but we out here on the puget sound in the seattle area is a fishing and boating area....they have been around forever and if I can't find the part at say westmarine or boaters world...I go there...bar none they have everything...it's an old building warehouse and pretty reasonable....the guys working there have lived the sea and boats for most of thier lives..they know parts and boats from the little skiffs right up to yachts......they have everything on the floor...when I got my boat I told the guy what I had..the windlass model I have...the weight of the boat and he set me up with a full up rode and anchor system....even helped me load it into my truck....so...that's my sales pitch...
hope this helps....
Steve
Thanks Steve
Old 01-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

according to the manual to change the trim sensors on a bravo 3 you have to take the leg off to thread the wire through a special rubber grommet in to the inside of the hull,this obviously makes a simple job into an expensive job,can we not just cut the wires fit the new senders and then reattach the wires to old wires and seal? :?:

ash
Old 01-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by zt260
according to the manual to change the trim sensors on a bravo 3 you have to take the leg off to thread the wire through a special rubber grommet in to the inside of the hull,this obviously makes a simple job into an expensive job,can we not just cut the wires fit the new senders and then reattach the wires to old wires and seal? :?:

ash
That is certainly what I am going to try to do. I may try to repair it myself prior to buying new units and see if I can get it to work in this manner. I am all about spending as little as possible so I can have some money to be able to enjoy it
Old 01-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
Admiral

all I can say is do it right the first time or expect to do it again....

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang