Old 04-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Trailer Tie down point

I have a bunk trailer for my Maxum, and the set up is such that the boat is held by bow eye at the sharp end, and at the blunt end to short straps from the ‘tow eyes’ to anchor points on trailer frame.
This seems to be a common way of ‘tying down’ boats.
As I have now fitted Smart Tabs, I can no longer run these straps the corner tie down points, and have had to fit additional points on the cross beam, these are about 150mm in form the previous pints and thus the boat could be deemed as less well held.

I am considering putting in a cross strap close to the transom, just to make sure boats stays down on the bunks.
Now most of the ratchet straps on the market have ether a loop of ‘claw’ at the end , to clip into an existing tie down point,.
The problem is I have no such suitable points … I don’t want to weld one on, as this would spoil the galv finish ..

Anybody come up with a neat way to get a fixing … the main beams are 4 x 2 galv steel sections, I thought of using the ‘choke straps’ they use to fix car s onto trailers, looping around the section and then attaching claw of strap to these – but they are too long and would cause claw to foul hull … only need about 12” loop …. If I were to use loop.
I guess I need to think about some form of ‘tie down’ that can be fitted with U bolts …. Anybody know of one ?

Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

On my old boat I just looped the strap around the trailer and connected it to the strap itself. This worked pretty well you just need to keep tension on it until you sinch it up. You will be putting pressure on the sides of your hull so be careful not to strap it too tight.