Old 06-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Trailer question

I have a 99 2400 scr on a Loadmaster (or Load Rite, i dont remember which) bunk style trailer. My buddy just bought a 04 Larson, 27 foot with an 8'6" beam. He wants to borrow the trailer to pull his boat. My question is this, will him using the trailer with his size boat damage either my trailer and/or his boat? I dont want to be an ass and not let him use it if it will help, but i dont want a broken trailer either.

Thanks for your help.

Phat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Commander

It would be ok if the boat weight is not over the gvw of the trailer.look on the trailer for a tag it will have the gvw.

cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #3
Captain

do what any normal friend would do, tell him its not registered and the lights don't work... let him rent one for $60, and you don't have to blow a weekend helping him...... now, can i borrow your boat?
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
Admiral

How far will he be towing it ?
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
Admiral

I'm with Pascavone .....some things friends don't ask friends to do.....even though I had a really good friend that let me use his trailer to get my new maxum.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

My first question would be how far does he have to tow his boat, followed immediately by does the trailer have enough capacity for his boat. I would guess the Larson, if it's a cruiser like your 2400, probably weighs 1000 pounds more than your 2400. I would also want to know if his tow vehicle is rated to pull the whole rig. Also remember your trailer is set up to fit your boat - not his Larson. What's the dead rise of your 2400 and his Larson? If they are close to the same then the bunks should be close but his Larson, being longer, will probably hang well off the end of the bunks, unless you re-position the winch stand - but that may shift too much weight onto the tongue and hitch or, if the Larson hangs off the back too much, there won't be enough weight on the tongue.

If he's only towing it a short distance and low-ish speeds, it probably won't be a problem. If he is towing farther and at highway speeds with an under-rated truck things could go wrong quickly. If an accident were to happen who's insurance will cover it? If the trailer is over loaded and/or doesn't fit the Larson properly, and there's an accident, it's likely no one's insurance will cover it. If someone gets hurt your friend - and possibly you, could find yourselves being sued.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
... being longer, will probably hang well off the end of the bunks, unless you re-position the winch stand - but that may shift too much weight onto the tongue and hitch or, if the Larson hangs off the back too much, there won't be enough weight on the tongue.
My thoughts exactly. Weight and length would be my biggest concerns as well. There is a world of difference between a 24 and a 27. Also, hanging the engine and transom past the bunks unsupported isn't great for the boat either. The transom really needs to be supported.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Placement of the bunks is definitely an issue. I had to move my bunks when I bought my boat because a thru-hull and chines were resting on the bunks. This could damage his boat.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
Admiral

I'm kinda with these guys....although it would be a nice gesture.....having to worry bout resetting everything from the stand to the bunks is a pain..then does the trailer have enough capacity??..then how is your insurance policy for using it on another boat that's like 1/3rd heavier than yours....

I think I'd tell him ....politely of course....pound sand.....

but.........that's just me..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
Ensign

Thanks everyone for the advice/info. I think its been resolved!

Phat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote