Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Trailer bunk placement for 2003 maxim 3300 SCR

Hello,
I just recently purchased my first maxum, really my first boat period. It's a 2003 maxum 3300 SCR, bought it out of florida and had it professionally shipped to my lake here in north carolina. I love the boat but do not own a dock on my lake so it stays anchored out or on neighbors docks right now. I bought a used trailer for it, was bought for a 40 foot trojan but the trojan was way too heavy for this trailer, he sold it to me and the weight is perfect for my maxum. Does anyone have this make and model boat and can tell me how far apart your bunks are on your trailer? I know the wider apart the better but I dont want to damage my boat by having them too far apart and the middle hit or having them line up on a through hole or something. If the water was warmer here I could get my snorkel and check it as I pull it out up the boat ramp but that's not an option yet. I live 5 miles from the ramp, no low lines, no limbs so one I get the trailer right it will be a piece of cake dropping it in for a weekend and taking it out. Any help would be appreciated

Wkbrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #2

The hull is supported by bulkheads that run perpendicular to the keel.

-> Width aids in lateral stability. Too narrow and the boat is tippy. Too wide and the boat sits too low in the trailer and the keep could contact the cross bars.

-> Don't have the bunk land on a lifting strake or chine.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
Lt. JG

That's great advise, thank you. I ended up putting the bunks directly on the I-beams of the trailer. I pulled the boat onto it, pulled it up the ramp slowly and checked everything out before pulling completely out the water. The bunks lined up perfect with the hull exactly where I wanted and where I have researched it needs to rest. I do have another question to you or anyone else who has any knowledge on this subject, my trailer is a triple axle trailer. My boat was kept at a marina in florida and was lifted with straps every so often. The boat has 4 "lift" stickers, 2 on each side. My thinking is I want the 3 tires on each side to be spaced evenly with these 2 stickers, to balance the weight even, what do you guys think? When I say space evenly I mean 2 feet from the back sticker to the back tire and 2 feet from the front fire to the front sticker. My trailer is for a 40 foot boat, it's a little long anyway so I have room to move it forward or back
Old 04-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #4
Captain

I wouldn't go by the lift points. They indicate where the straps should go to position the straps for lifting so the load is placed upon the hull at the proper points where structure exists to handle the load. They aren't an indicator of weight per se. Position on the trailer is best done by measuring tongue weight.
Put a scale under the hitch point and adjust so that 10% of the total weight of the boat is on the tongue.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #5

+2 ^^^

The "lift" stickers are for Travel Lifts and Cranes that lift with straps. They mark where there is a bulkhead, and therefore a structurally reinforced spot on the boat. Lift where there isn't a 'lift', and the boat will flex inward.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Thanks everyone for the help and advice, I got it sitting on the trailer exactly where it needs to be. That's another project crossed off the list, on to the next
Old 04-14-2020, 12:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkbrdr1 View Post
That's another project crossed off the list, on to the next
Boatwork is like the 'I Love Lucy' episode where Lucy and Ethel were at the end of chocalate factory conveyor belt. It Never Ends!!!!

Tags
boat trailer, maxum, maxum 3300, trailer