Old 04-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Trailer Brake Upgrades?

Alright I have a 14k lb Venture trailer with drum brakes on all 3 axles for my 3000SCR. My brakes have not worked in years and really don't remember when they stopped working because it always has stopped horrible. I have been reading a lot of people using Electric brakes (such as I have on my 34' camper) and due to the cheap price people have been having good luck with them.

I would like to add electric brakes on at least one or two axles. I love being able to adjust the stopping power in the truck and be able to test the brakes as soon as you hook on. I was thinking of keeping surge brakes on one axle but switching to disk brakes (New Master cylinder, lines - either Nicopp or Rubber, and disk brake kit) just to still have one hydraulic setup.

What is every ones thoughts? I know a lot of people will say not to use electric on a boat trailer and so on BUT it gets dunked in salt water twice a year, once in May and once in Nov/December. SO if they last 2 years or so I will be doing better then my hydraulic drum brakes have. When I tow my RV that is close to the same weight of my boat I have MUCH more confidence in stopping then when my boat trailers brakes work. I would like to have the same confidence in pulling my boat.

OceanStateTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:54 PM   #2
Admiral

Electric over hydraulic work well and give you redundancy. Don't worry about dunking them in the salt water. Just make sure you give them and the bearings time to cool and flush them good when you get home.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:55 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Yeah I looked into Electric over Hydraulic, id rather just go one or the other. I am talking about full Electric
OceanStateTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

two different bake sys on a trailer one will work hard other wont might drag a set of tires ? i would use one or the other my self i have a 32 i trailer also?
gmc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
Admiral

So how far is this twice a year trip to launch and pull the boat?
Are the roads hilly?

IMO I perfer disc surge brakes.

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, trailer, upgrade