Old 07-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Ensign

Default towing a 2300 sc maxum with toyota 4 runner

Can I tow a 2300 sc maxum with a 8 cyl. Toyota 4 runner? it's rated for 6500 lbs.

Thinking about buying one next week but have to be able to tow it.

Rick

rfm1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

i am towing a 2300 SCR with a subaru legacy automatic 2,5 l
it's the 4 wheel drive that does help
rens

rens914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rens914 View Post
i am towing a 2300 SCR with a subaru legacy automatic 2,5 l
it's the 4 wheel drive that does help
rens
That's crazy.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfm1992 View Post
Can I tow a 2300 sc maxum with a 8 cyl. Toyota 4 runner? it's rated for 6500 lbs.

Thinking about buying one next week but have to be able to tow it.

Rick
That's at the upper limit of the capacity, but you should be good.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

As Jerry said the 2300 SC + trailer will be pushing the limit of the 4R. You'll quite possibly be over if you add people and gear in the 4R.

The issue isn't so much getting the rig moving, it's getting the whole mess to stop - especially in an emergency situation, and stability. Be absolutely positive the trailer has brakes on at least one axle, on both would be better, and that they work. A 4R doesn't have an especially long wheel base and that doesn't help stability. You'll have to ensure the boat is properly positioned on the trailer so that the tongue weight is correct. If the TW is right - figure around 600 pounds ish, then make sure the rear of the 4R isn't squating under the load. Idealy you want the truck and trailer to be level when connected.

If you're only towing a short distance at slower speeds you should be ok. Just remember that if something bad happens and the insurance company finds that the truck was overloaded you could be in a world of financial hurt.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #6

SS has pretty much nailed the key points (as usual). Total weight of boat and trailer; tongue weight of boat and trailer; and finally mac towing capacity and tongue capacity of tow vehicle. One more thought aside from braking, which is crucial, is not the ability to move the boat to and from the boat ramp, or even to launch the boat. Launching requires brakes, however hauling up the launch requires torque. I've sen many guys over the years who launch a boat with an undersized tow vehicle without any problems, only to find they are spinning their wheels on a slick, wet launch ramp trying to get the boat and trailer out of the water. i've seen more than one occassion where a bystander waiting in line has had to swap vehicles to get the boat and trailer up the ramp. Not necessarily because they are 'good samaritans' but rather so they can free the ramp to get their own boat.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Agreed on previous posters comments. I have a Santa Fe and I pulled my 2300 SC a short drive through the marina and launched it. I doubt I would ever pull it anywhere except very short distances. I did not like how the SUV squat when hooked up but I was surprised at how easily it pulled the boat out of the water. Unlike when I used to pull a 2500 pound aluminum around with my Honda Accord including on highways, starting and stopping the Maxum is not as much a safety concern for me as my trailer is tandem with dual surge brakes and the SUV seems to have the power. My concern is how hard it would be on my tranny and uni-body. When I pulled the 2300 up a steep ramp, I did notice how high I had to rev before there was movement. Once up the ramp, I noticed a very powerful ammonia smell and Googled this when I got home because I was so concerned.
Having this experience, if I was in your shoes, I'd feel comfortable pulling this rig with your Toyota. I dont believe someone tows it with a Subaru and if I was on duty and saw this, I would be pulling them over and impounding the boat. That isnt safe, period.
majbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
Admiral

When I had my 2300 SC I towed it with an F250 Diesel... You can never have too much truck.

I'd vote no on this one. You will not have enough truck to create a safety margin.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
Ensign

I pull our 2300SR with our '02 Explorer quite a bit and it's tolerable...I use 4 Low to pull it out just because. surge brakes on both axles definitely help--yo can really feel the pull. Much prefer my Nissan Titan unless the kids are bringing friends along though. Not exactly apples to apples, but somewhat comparable.
tcongdon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Ensign

We have trailered our 2300SC with our Nissan Pathfinder and it's, well, not super comfortable even though it does handle it ok. Not something I plan to do very often, for sure. AS others have said, it's not the pulling that is an issue, it's getting the whole mess stopped!!

Pulling a 2300sc with a Subaru? That's crazy talk, imho.

Cheers,
C
Old 07-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #11

Welcome Aboard Clark_Griswold!!! Thanks for the feedback.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote