Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Thoughts on generators - a must have or not necessarily

We are looking at a 32' Maxum SCR w/out Generator - how important is this?

Curious to know feedback on generators - we like to anchor out, but are concerned that maybe we should be looking at a boat with a generator?

We've heard adding a generator could run $10k

We are having a tough time finding boat with generator in our budget - $30k ish

Thanks for your feedback!

Freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
Admiral

When at anchor what electronics do you use and how long are you anchored? Using A/C in the cabin?

The last question requires a genny while you may get away with a good set of house batteries for lees loads.

Also some use a regular generator sitting on the swim platform

I'm sure folks with more experience with this will chime in.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

I have a 3200 SCR without a generator and I don't mind it at all, never have had any problems. I did buy a little 2000watt Honda Suite case Generator that I can put out on the swim platform when we anchor out overnight on the boat so we can have coffee and things in the morning. These generators are so quite you don't even hear them running and there so small that it fits right down inside the engine compartment very nicely. A $1,000.00 solution to a $10,000.00 problem
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #4

Generator 'necessity' will depend on:

1) How frequently you anchor out. (More importantly.....)

2) How many consecutive days do you anchor out at a time?

3) How much power you intend on consuming.

4) Power Storage (battery bank size)

If you anchor out every weekend, but only for one night (Sat. -Sun.) you could easily get away with a decent sized set of batteries on the 'house' side. However, if you intend on running TV's, Stereo, coffee makers and a microwave, you may want to consider a generator.

I have 2 group 31 AGM batteries for the house. I also have a Honda 2K portable generator. I don't have a TV and have no electrical heating elements. I've sat on anchor for 10 days and only run the generator for 3 hours every other day (or 1-2 hrs daily). Sometimes a little more if the admiral wants to keep the fridge turned up to keep meat frozon in the fridge, or if we've been playing the stereo a lot. I can heat my hot water tank in approx. 15-30 minutes. That includes playing the stereo for approx. 6-8 hours per day.

Our stove is butane, our grill is propane. Our head is a manual flush. Out lights are LED. We use a footpump to inflate the dinghy.

It's a balance of power consumption, power conservations (need vs. want), power storage and generation. If we're going to over night (sat. - sun.) we don't even run the generator.

It's up to you whether you need a generator or not.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
Commander

We only have a portable as a back up and rarely use it.
Mostly keep it on board for an emergency, such as being 50 miles from no where with a dead battery.
Other than that, maybe once a year.
For cooking we have a coleman 2 burner, propane and our magma grill.
oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
Ensign

Awesome feedback - thank you all!!! We did hear about the portable generators and could be a good option -- We love to anchor out ideally for a few days -- but this is the first boat with kids and just not sure how things will plan out --

We found a boat that we really like, but no generator and we are thinking this one through -- an expensive add on for sure and tough to find - at least right now. The portable could be the way to go -- if needed once we get on the water.

Any typical things that we should watch out for as we look at this year/make of boat - that is anything that typically fails or we need to be aware of? Would like to know the dirt now before we move forward. Thanks
Freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird View Post

Any typical things that we should watch out for as we look at this year/make of boat - that is anything that typically fails or we need to be aware of?
That is an easy question. EVERYTHING fails on a boat eventually. Narrow down your search, then hire a marine surveyor. The surveyor will be expensive, however it is to prevent much more significant expenses. The idea is, get the boat that you want to buy surveyed. They survey will advise you if you need to run away from something significant.

i.e. Spend $800 to save $10,000.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, anchoring out, generator