Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
Ensign
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3
Default Thinking of buying a rough 1997 2700 scr..

I went and looked at a freshwater only 1997 2700 scr over the weekend, the guy is only asking 12000 for the boat and trailer. My thoughs were wow what a deal... until i boarded the boat and found the following items that need addressed just from my visual inspection. (The owner was not present and gave me permission by phone to board the vessel and look it over before he made the trip up to meet with me.)

here is the BAD about the boat

-fiberglass damage at trailer area on bow
-aft shower door broken
-rear door latch does not match up
-missing support poles for mouring cover.
-all of the cockpit switches melted
-gages are all faded and barely usable
-i think the float switch does not work as there was some water in bilge but manual bilge works
- antenna is snapped in half
-seats are in good condition but one seat has a rip that is repairable
- some snaps for the mouring cover are missing
-green bow light not operable
-cracks in fiberglass by windshield
- some of the storage doors on deck and not operable
-blower is inop

-there seems to have been a leak on the front hatch that he says has been fixed but the headliner was never replaced so there is a horrid stain but it felt dry to the touch

-the head smells like poop but the boat has been sitting unused for 40 days
- the whole boat is FILTHY and needs a good scrubbing, this boat looks like it has not been washed in years
-the radio was inoperable

Here is the GOOD about the boat:

-he has reciepts for new bellows, drive rebuild and new shift cable- about $1100 worth of work
- new refrigerator
-A/C is COLD
- I tested the water at the galley and it was working
- he claims that the motor runs good (we will see Sunday for sea trial)
-comes with a good tandem axle trailer
-comes with a bimini top and a camper top
-all interior lights worked
- stove works

I need some advice as to weather this boat is worth fixing up and what price i should try to get it at... I do plan on getting a marine survey and I am a experienced boater but this is my first cruiser. i will be keeping my 19 ft grady white for fishing and for a fuel saver to just go to the beach and such... We are looking for a weekend live a board boat for lake erie. please let me know what you think
thanks
__________________

nascarjonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #2
Lt. Commander
 
Timbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Clinton Ct.
Posts: 105
Default

I would be concerned about all the switches being melted, as for the cracks by the windshield those could just be little stress cracks that happen over time. I have a 95 3200scr and I have those little cracks and I was told not to worry about them. the other items are little items that can be fixed for little cost if your a do it yourselfer. I would give him a low ball offer and see where he goes from there.
__________________

Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
Lt. Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
I would be concerned about all the switches being melted, as for the cracks by the windshield those could just be little stress cracks that happen over time. I have a 95 3200scr and I have those little cracks and I was told not to worry about them. the other items are little items that can be fixed for little cost if your a do it yourselfer. I would give him a low ball offer and see where he goes from there.
ditto that post
Baby Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #4
Ensign
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
I would be concerned about all the switches being melted, as for the cracks by the windshield those could just be little stress cracks that happen over time. I have a 95 3200scr and I have those little cracks and I was told not to worry about them. the other items are little items that can be fixed for little cost if your a do it yourselfer. I would give him a low ball offer and see where he goes from there.
the switches apear to be melted from the sun heat as he did not cover the switches and the sun was heating them threw the windshield
nascarjonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
Lt. Commander
 
Timbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Clinton Ct.
Posts: 105
Default

If that is the cause and you don't mind putting a little TLC into her then I would offer him about $8,000 and I wouldn't go above 9k with what your saying is wrong you'll have to spend about $2,500 - $3,000 in parts to get her in good shape. Well worth it if you ask me as long as the sea trial goes well and there are no other issues.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
Lieutenant
 
cdhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 80
Default

I had a 97 2700SCR and it was a nice boat. Hope everything works out for you.
If you would like to know what I paid for my 2700SCR when I bought it in 2011, feel free to PM me.
__________________
"Firefly" - 2003 Maxum 3100 SCR Twin 5.0L/BIIIs
cdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:39 AM   #7
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,215
Default

First welcome aboard

IMO if he let that much of the boat go I would be concerned of engine maintance. A surveyor does not check the engine. At a minimum use a IR thermal gun and take temps of the exhaust and various places on the engine. I would perfer a compression test and an oil analysis.

Have you priced this boat on yacht world or another site to get idea of their value?

$12000 seems high for the condition.

What is the condition of the trailer? Tires rotten side walls?
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,215
Default

So I did a quick search and found about half a dozen ranging from $16K to $26K for years 1995 to 2000. All of these boats were in good shape or better.

Once again in my experience if the owner did not take care of several things he did not properly care for the main systems primarily the engine.

Have its health checked and if he bulks at it walk.
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
Ensign
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
So I did a quick search and found about half a dozen ranging from $16K to $26K for years 1995 to 2000. All of these boats were in good shape or better.

Once again in my experience if the owner did not take care of several things he did not properly care for the main systems primarily the engine.

Have its health checked and if he bulks at it walk.
First of all... thanks to all that responded to my post... you guys here on the maxum forum seem to be very nice compared to other b oat forums i have been on... examaple the grady forum...

I have done research and found that he is allready below market average for the boat and alot of those boats around 16000 seem to not have trailers. i found another 95 2800 scr that comes with a dingy i may go look at for 16000 but it looks to be in better shape. I am a Hyudai Auto technician and i am confident in my ability to check the motor over. I may run a compression test but my main concern with the surveyor is so that he can tell me the condition of the stringers and transom. i dont want any structural suprises. I am willing to spend the fall and spring fixing this boat up but i have a feeling i need to get it cheap like around 9000 or soo.

back to the engine, I am meeting with him sunday to fire them up, i want to hear a COLD start and i did inform him of that... then i will watch the temp to see if she drops. I will let you guys know how it goes on sunday. is there anything else i should be concnernd with or look out for on this boat???
nascarjonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #10
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarjonb View Post
First of all... thanks to all that responded to my post... you guys here on the maxum forum seem to be very nice compared to other b oat forums i have been on... examaple the grady forum...

I have done research and found that he is allready below market average for the boat and alot of those boats around 16000 seem to not have trailers. i found another 95 2800 scr that comes with a dingy i may go look at for 16000 but it looks to be in better shape. I am a Hyudai Auto technician and i am confident in my ability to check the motor over. I may run a compression test but my main concern with the surveyor is so that he can tell me the condition of the stringers and transom. i dont want any structural suprises. I am willing to spend the fall and spring fixing this boat up but i have a feeling i need to get it cheap like around 9000 or soo.

back to the engine, I am meeting with him sunday to fire them up, i want to hear a COLD start and i did inform him of that... then i will watch the temp to see if she drops. I will let you guys know how it goes on sunday. is there anything else i should be concnernd with or look out for on this boat???
Like you said the boats structure (rotten wood) and the engine. Replacing that 454 will cost half his asking price. I have heard too many times folks getting boats like this and by the next year the engine is toast.

Another turn off is any hacked up wiring.
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #11
Captain
 
Kevlar7r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 746
Default

The switches are no big deal at all. They are standard carling switch covers. Cost me $15 to replace all of mine. Some cleaners will dissolve the rubber and make them look melted too.



Make sure the surveyor uses a moisture meter. Mine did not and im paying $18k for a new transom.
__________________

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.