Old 04-26-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
Commander

Default Thieves!!

I am moored on Lake WA at the Newport Yacht Basin. Over the past year, I have arrived at the boat and found that my shore power cord had mysteriously been unplugged and plugged into the receptacle right beside it in the same box. The cord from the boat next to us had then been plugged into mine. Simple mistake right? I had assumed that somehow mine had come unplugged and my neighbor accidentally switched them. No big deal, except there is NO power to my neighbor's receptacle, as I discovered this week. I arrived at the boat to do some spring cleaning when I noticed that there was no power. I went to check the plug and found that the two were switched, AGAIN. This time I checked his to see if there was power coming from the neighboring receptacle. Nope. I called the owner of the two slips and informed them and the owner called the tenant next to me and asked if he knew anything about it. Of course he was very sure that he had never switched the plugs and said that he has power in his plug that he uses to charge his boat lift. When I called PSE, they told me that there has not been power to that receptacle in two years. Hmmmmmmmm?

Now it gets worse!!

I go to the boat today to get her ready for an afternoon cruise. Last week I burned about and eighth of a tank of fuel. Today, I was completely empty! Someone stole my gas!!!!!!! All of it!!!!!!!!

When it rains it pours.

rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Default Re: Thieves!!

I would say your neighbor is a little shifty....Excuse the pun.
I wonder if your fuel gauge has a problem. You said it is completely empty on the gauge and the gauge gets its signal from a ground connection which is regulated through a coil on the sending unit. To test your gauge disconnect the signal wire from the sending unit and turn your ignition on. Your gauge should be hard on empty or full, now connect the signal wire directly to a ground and the gauge should read the other way, this test confirms that your gauge is OK and you might have a problem with your sending unit.If the gauge does not perform the way I discribed you may have a problem with the connections on ether the gauge or the sending unit.
Sorry to be so long winded but I find it hard to believe some was able to completely drain your tank and not leave a little showing on your gauge.
Anyways stealing someones gas is pretty low in the boating world.
Hope you get over this bump and have a great season.
Cheers
Paul

Old 04-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Admiral

time to call luigi and let them have a conversation or two.....this yr we had some thieves that stole a bunch of heat exchangers......now that's low...

SP irate:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
Commander

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the info. The gauge did read some fuel in the tank, barely, and I am 100% positive of the levels that were in the tank. This is good info though, should I ever need to test the gauge.

As for my "shifty neighbor"???? I could not agree with you more. Kind of ironic how my gas disappears in the same week that I confront my neighbor ey?

Have a good week.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stressleave
I would say your neighbor is a little shifty....Excuse the pun.
I wonder if your fuel gauge has a problem. You said it is completely empty on the gauge and the gauge gets its signal from a ground connection which is regulated through a coil on the sending unit. To test your gauge disconnect the signal wire from the sending unit and turn your ignition on. Your gauge should be hard on empty or full, now connect the signal wire directly to a ground and the gauge should read the other way, this test confirms that your gauge is OK and you might have a problem with your sending unit.If the gauge does not perform the way I discribed you may have a problem with the connections on ether the gauge or the sending unit.
Sorry to be so long winded but I find it hard to believe some was able to completely drain your tank and not leave a little showing on your gauge.
Anyways stealing someones gas is pretty low in the boating world.
Hope you get over this bump and have a great season.
Cheers
Paul
rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

That realy sucks. I have found boaters to be more trustworthy than most.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #6

I would casually ask your neighbor if he's had any problems such as the ones you're having. Then mention that you're having a security camera installed to get to the bottom of it and offer to have it pointed so that you can see both boats (for HIS benefit).

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote