Old 01-21-2014, 12:29 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default the most common problems mercruiser engines have

I dont know if this question has been discussed or not.The question is,what are the most common problems mercruiser engines have?,ans what are the most common problems to face people while riding Maxum?.I hope your answers will help and educate many Maxum boat owners, to be prepared incase of if something goes wrong.Cheers

mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 AM   #2
Captain

common problem is leaking manifolds, which can lock the engine if left unchecked, maxum biggest problem is they burn @ 4.79 a gallion.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:18 AM   #3
Lt. JG

The manifolds problem can be solved by any trained mechanic,but the gas problem can be solved by a fat bank account.lol
Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
Admiral

IMO there is nothing to single out mercruiser regarding problems. Merc and volvo which make up > 90% of he sterndrive market use the sam GM gas long blocks. If you have read engine problems folks have posted the majority of issues come from lack of maintance, not replacing worn out manifolds, raw water impellers are the top. Both can and commonly result in engine replacements and occur to volvo owners as well. Other than that things just wear out and salt water increase this but this is the nature of boating.

I know nothing unique about Maxums that but you at any higher risk than any other boat. Have a manover board plan, make sure someone besides you can stop the boat and call for help, don't drink too much,don't do stupid things that you think sound good at the time, and watch out for other boats; sometimes it's not in your control what others are doing but te affect is you get hit.

Be safe, be smart, and have fun

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Thank you guys for the good info.Cheers
Old 01-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
Admiral

Hold my beer and watch this
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:50 PM   #7
Admiral

Next in the news Arizona man parks boat on the rock, guess his drink was getting warm

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:07 AM   #8
Lt. JG

Oh im in the mix man.lol
Old 01-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #9

I don't feel that either Leaking Manifolds or Fuel Burn are exlcusive to either Mercruiser or Maxums. Any marine engine with water cooled exhaust manifolds and risers are going to need to have these items replaced on a regular basis. Failure to do so will lead to failure as an eventual outcome. When and where they fail is not brand specific either. As for fuel burn, ALL planing hulls will require a relatively high burn rate.

Your alternative is a open aspirated diesal on a Full Displacement hull with a dry-stack exhaust. That max you out at 8 kts, but will bash through more seas than the skipper or crew will handle.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #10
Lt. JG

Yes,i have seen those diesel engines in south east Asia,and they use them on there wooden boats.The wooden boat can be 75 foot with 190 HP.They move 5 to 7 kts,but they go forever.But slow speed can be dangerous for 25 foot boats, at times when the sea is mad.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Generation 3 fuel pump/ cooler, the paint inside of it peels off and clogs your fuel pressure regulator and this makes the boat piss up unburn fuel into the exhaust making your boat very inefficient on fuel... Best way to test this is with fuel gauge connected to the injectors line or removing the fuel pressure regulator at the pump and inspect....
rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

Default Mercruiser Cool Fuel Module

Rodrigo, you are right on about the Mercruiser cool fuel module ... I've had high fuel burn and was told by the mechanic it was paint peeling off from the inside and getting caught in the filter.

I'm curious, did you ever replace the Cool Fuel module? I'm thinking about it, but it's a lot of money, over $1000.

Oh well BOAT = break out another $1000 I guess..
Old 02-14-2014, 02:29 AM   #13
Lt. Commander

Iceman, I did not replace them, too much money! I found that the peeling off came mostly from the covers. I though about replacing the covers instead, but since I had to buy the new regulators. I just clean them with a wire brush attached to my drill, I took most of the paint off. I believe the actual cap was like $200. I have twins so everything is X2. So I went the cheap way out. There is also a big o ring that goes around the cap and a small one that goes on the end of the fuel line. There are two fuel pressure regulators one at the cooler the other one at the injectors rail, I only had to replace the one at the cooler for like $70, the one at the rail is like $250. Crazy money... Be careful when you take the cap out... I broke one of the bolts that holds it... I had to use a drill and a broken bolt extractor bit to remove what was left of it... By the way the one bolt that broke was $35. Not cheap at all. Good luck!

rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote