Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-18-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
Admiral

Thumbs up That time of year agin!!!

Hi maxum owners!!....it's getting that time of year again when the spring flowers start to bloom...the weather starts to get warm(not here in the pacnorwest)....and a sailors eyes turn to the sea's(lakes, rivers, ponds)........
so...my post today is to make sure everyone has an enjoyable and safe boating season....
please review your systems to make sure that you know how they work....so..review your manuals and review the functions of each unit at your dash....
review your safety protocols to ensure you have a safe boating trips.....please review and practice your radio procedures and ensure that your radio is speaking properly to the gps unit...if they are connected ...make sure you have your radio registered with a proper mmsi number...

I'm speaking from experience when I say that the radio/gps/mmsi numbers are VERY important......it can mean the difference between rescue and a really bad bad day..........

so.....enjoy the coming boating season and be safe....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
Admiral

Good words of wisdom SP...Here in central illinois we are on our third week of our safe boating class for the power squadron. I have gotten to teach the two classes. I enjoy this first because it always sharpens my skills and second I enjoy helping new boaters that are in the class. Here is an easy way to protect yourself.

A simple float plan that you tell your next door neighbor or a dock friend where you are going and how long you will be gone could save a boater's life and family if a break down would happen on a boating trip that makes you late from your normal arrival time.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
Admiral

I was hoping others would chime in...good advice roger!!!....anyone else??

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
Commander

Something easily overlooked is your impeller. I almost chose not to change it this year since last season we didn't get out on the water as much as we normally do. While having my lower unit serviced, I called my mechanic and asked him to go ahead and change it out while he was already at the boat working on it. Good thing I did! The darned thing was shredded! There could not have been 75 hours on it, so maybe it picked up just enough gunk to rip it up. Had I chosen to skip changing it this season, you better believe I would be getting good use of my SeaTow membership. Speaking of, that is another few bucks to spend that would be well worth it if you ever needed to use it..... SeaTow or whatever you have in your neck of the woods.
Happy boating!
rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Lot's of great advise here. As I got an early start on getting her ready this year due to the mild winter I can only strongly advise all newcomers to take a good look at everything befoer she goes in. Change the water pump (mercruisers) every year and take a good look at the drained oil. Look for water evidence or metal chips. Look at belts and hoses, oil and fuel filters. Common sense yes, but we all know....
This year I am having the USCG safety inspection performed as it is a really good idea to have another pair of knowledgeable eyes checking things out.
safe boating everyone
ccruser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Admiral

Both of those threads ......great advise.....as VSC examiner for the last 8 years for. the USPS, ( another hat I wear) I have seen my share of. WTF:-) examining boats so if you never have had a vsc do so. First it's free and second if there is a violation the examiner works with you on a fix. Now say a dnr officer boards your boat and finds a violation, maybe we might be looking at a ticket instead of free.

So all of you get a VSC for your boat this spring. How do find an examiner? Go to www.usps.org and click on the vsc section and put your zip code in and examiners names will pop up.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:10 AM   #7

Also a great time to go through safety equipment. Verify CG and State requirements, check the dates on flares and fire extinguishers. Make sure you turn fire extinguishers upside down, and rap the bottom with a rubber mallet and give them a good shake. Check PFD's. Remember that PFD's cannot be torn, heavily worn and/or faded and the tags must be completely readable. Remember that onboard engine compartment extinguishers are supposed to be inspected annually. How often do you verify all running lights are working properly?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote