Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-28-2011, 03:31 AM   #1
Ensign

Cool Thank you--and another question

I have benefitted from this forum on two very important occasions. Once when my boat was taking on water--I had never had an inboard/outboard before, and did not have a clue where to look. You answered my question. I have a spedometer that suddently stopped working--I just read some threads that I am certain will lead me to a path of success. I very much appreciate learning from those of you who are experienced. I have had an outboard for many years, but recently got a Maxum 1900SR. I really like it, but since it is a used boat, I have had some issues with it. My outboard was a 16ft, and I thought this 19ft would take the waves better. I boat at Table Rock Lake in Missouri. My boat does well, but if it is a little rough from boat traffic, it will 'porpoise' pretty severely. I trim it all the way down, but it still does not cut through the water like I thought it might. I have heard that perhaps installing something on the outdrive might help with this. Any ideas? Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Mhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Mr. Hopkins,

Many here have a boat the size of yours. Do a search on both "Smart Tabs" and "Trim Tabs". Both are similar in operation but smart tabs are significantly less expensive than traditional trim tabs.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Ensign

Default Thank you

Thanks, Dan. I will let you know.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Glad to hear that the great guys here have been helping you out too!
I don't have as much experiance as you do by the sounds of it.. But my 1700SR seems to do quite well up to about a 3' wave.. Once they get that high things get shakey, under that is not too bad at all, and at a foot or less barely even notice it. I am running a 17p prop, but no other tabs or anything, usually have the motor trimmed all the way down or the bow stays up to too high a speed.
I'm sure someone with your exact or very similar boat will soon help even more!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
Commander

I have a 1900SR and installed Smart Tabs this year. They made a significant difference in cutting through waves and keeping the nose down. The 1900SR is not a big water boat and will bob quite a bit due to the shallow rise of the hull. It is rather flat for the beam and won't cut through waves like a deep-V boat will. That all said, I love my boat and think you made a great choice.

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Ensign

You are describing my boat exactly! Thanks. Is there a brand, size, etc. that I should be looking at for the smart tabs? I love my boat, too--its perfect for my family. My speedometer stopped working this weekend--I haven't tried to clean out the hole on the motor yet--did you have that problem? thanks.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Have had the speedo problem an few times.. Cleaned out the"hole on the motor" and all was fine again. I actually also had the tube running to the speedo rub on a bolt in its run up the starboard and geta hole in it too... Fixed that with a liberal amount of self sealing rubber tape nad thought that maybe over down time I will put at "Y or T" in it here so I could use compressed air to blow debris out when it does plug. Not sure if that is too much pressure though... Leave that comment for comment?
Old 08-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vffb507 View Post
Glad to hear that the great guys here have been helping you out too!
I don't have as much experiance as you do by the sounds of it.. But my 1700SR seems to do quite well up to about a 3' wave.. Once they get that high things get shakey, under that is not too bad at all, and at a foot or less barely even notice it. I am running a 17p prop, but no other tabs or anything, usually have the motor trimmed all the way down or the bow stays up to too high a speed.
I'm sure someone with your exact or very similar boat will soon help even more!
I have the 1750 with no tabs and i too have the tab trimmed all the way down as the bow is always high enough, and again 3 foot waves is near the limit, can go bigger but in my area its a confused chop. Staying on plane is a must as the waves will come over at a standstill. on a boat this size i dont see tabs making any different to ride comfort, a boat this size will slam all day long.
Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
Commander

Mr. Hopkins, I puchased the Nauticus Smart Tab SX (80 lb) model for my 1900SR. Bought them off of Amazon.com for about $120. As I said, they significantly improved bow rise during acceleration, seem to help cut through chop and lowered my on plane speed a couple of MPH (better for wake boarding). As for the speedo issue, I had the same problem and cleared out the hole on the outdrive when I changed the waterpump, unfortunutly my speedo had water in it, froze and spun the gears..I'm sending it back to Faria this winter to get it fixed. Has your waterpump been replaced within the last 3 years? If not or you don't know, put it on your list of things to do.

Happy Boating!

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
Ensign

OK, sorry to be so 'dumb'. I tried to fix my speedo problem this weekend. I could not find the hole on the outdrive, but there is a small diameter hose that is disconnected--I suspect it is for the speedo. I cannot find where it connects. Mercruiser, 2.3L. I do good with pictures--can someone help me? thanks.