Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Switching from water to fresh in the toilet

Hello,

Our 3100 SE currently uses raw water for toilet flush. Has anyone ever switched in fresh water tank to reduce smell ect?

Trevorhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome to the website first all! Electric flush on the head? Then yes if that helps your smell problem. Add a cup of bleach to your water supply to take care of any smell in that area. I have a 3000 with a hand flush head and have a gallon jug of water that I use to rinse. Water comes from the faucet . I boat on a muddy river so no river water to rinse the head. That would be self defeating.

Hope this helps..

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
Admiral

Welcome aboard

yes it can be done but will go through the fresh water quickly.

Have you tried a de-odorizer such as used on RVs?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
Admiral

Trevor........try the milk jug full of fresh water, with a shot of bleach in it and close the seacock for your head. You might have a smelly head problem. Make sure you are not creating a bomb with the bleach going into the head with whatever anti-smell stuff that you might already use.

Is the smell coming out the waste water tank vent? If so you might flush the tank a couple times with clear water at the dock.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:39 AM   #5
Captain

A better solution is to just control the smell. RV holding tank treatments fall woefully short in this, and bleach will kill bacteria.

I use raw water, which is muddy and brackish, and the right microbes, and there is zero smell. Not to mention that it liquefies the waste for easier pumping.

Rtb780 is the best stuff on earth.

Www.microbialogic.com
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #6

Depending on how old the vessel is, you might have the older black sanitation hose, which becomes somewhat permeable over time. It might be time to upgrade to the newer hoses.

How often do you pump out? Contents should not sit in the holding tank for more than 5 days. Most holding tank chemicals will include this in the instructions as well.

I use raw water in my head. I get a pump out every Sunday before we leave for the weekend. Before I get the pumpout, I flush copious amounts freshwater into the head and keep pumping so the head and the entire sanitation line is freshwater and the saltwater is pushed back into the tank. Then after the pump out, I pump more freshwater and holding tank chemicals back into the head. Now there is only freshwater in the system for the week, until I return on Friday.

I use twice the amount of holding tank chemicals recommended. One other thing we do which seems odd but helps...... We pump a 5-7 times with raw water right before we go to bed.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote