Old 10-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Swim Platform Removal

I currently have a 04 Bayliner 175, but am in consideration of a 2008 Maxum 2000 SR3. The boat has the extended swim platform installed, and I am curious about removing it on either a temporary or permanent basis.

1) I don't care for them and don't do a lot of watersports so to speak, and 2) (The most important one. lol) I need as much space as I can get to store the boat.

It looks like without the platform, and the prop down for storage I can pick up over a foot, maybe 2 feet...but what is involved in removing the platform? Can it be done easily each time I garage it, and if not and I just take it off permanent what would be involved in getting the holes filled in a manner that at least looks halfway decent?

Thanks in advance for replies!

moridin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: Swim Platform Removal

welcome to the zoo....to answer your question about extended swim platforms....if this is the fiberglass type that kicks out past the standard swim platfrom...then you can remove it..but then the process of filling the holes with fiberglass and resin is going to have to be done...that would require some sanding...repairing any awlgrip that is damaged and any gel coat repairs...the main thing is to fill the holes properly so that water doesn't intrude into the engine bay....

if it were me...I'd take it to a fiberglass repair shop after you take the swimstep off....and the brackets...they can match it up perfectly for a few bucks....

SP :hello:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for the quick reply and answer...Yes, I'm talking about the extended platform that is added on...here is the exact boat I'm considering:

That was my main concern was if I removed it permanently would it be big $$ to have it made to look good and be watertight again. Would you say almost 2 feet of space gain in the rear (with prop down for storage) is accurate without it (I'd go measure it myself, but currently the boat is about 5 hours away. lol)?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Admiral

then yes..you can remove the swim platform and the brackets...but the holes HAVE to be filled properly and gel coat properly applied....other than that...no problem...the hard part would be taking the bolts off from inside the hull...

SP irate:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I don't think you're going to save 2 feet. The S/D itself is about 2 feet deep and it appears that it bolts to the transom in pretty much the same plane as that of the drive. If you look closely, with the drive raised, the prop is extended almost as far out as the back edge of the S/D. If the drive is down you'll loose some length but no more than a foot.

Or, with less words, I think you might save only a foot at most.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #6

This is just one mans opinion. While I acknowledge that one man's trash is a another man's treasure......

Don't Do it.

you're eseentially going to take a beautiful brand new boat and make it look like a pickup truck missign the rear bumper. For one thing, it's going to be costly to make it look right and even then it's going to look like a boat that is missing it's swim platform. You're not going to essentially take away a feature of the boat and make that aspect of the boat less usable for the sake of fitting into a storage space better. I also have to agree with a previous post; the amount of space gained isn't the depth of the swim patform, but the difference between the end of the swim platform and the end of the cavitation plate/prop nut on the outdrive. That is a lot of cost to gain a few inches of storage at the risk of making a potentially ugly boat with diminished functionality. Aside from you, is there anyone that would want to buy the boat once you're done with it??
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

With all due respect to the OP, I agree with Shrew. I bought a 2008 1900 SR3 with the platform. While in the looking stage, one of the things I was considering was making sure that whatever I bought would fit in the garage. The 1900 was NOT going to fit, so I considered an 1800 or Bayliner 195 w/o platform that "might" fit with the folding tongue. Anyway, contrary to my "must fit in the garage" consideration, I bought the 1900 and I am very glad that I did. The swim platform is a huge plus in my view and not just for water sports / swimming. Just my .02 cents.
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

I would tend to agree. I have a 2006 2000SR3 and the platform gets used a lot. Holding drinks stuff when loading, place to stand when there is no place to uh you know. When the drive is up it is almost even with the back of the platform and down you do not save much space.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #9
Ensign

Appreciate the input...some good comments. I think I agree and will attempt to find a more 'creative' way to get it to fit rather than altering the boat (which I ended up getting today after a little bit of negotiation!) I pick it up on Saturday, and I'll post some pics then.

New 2008 Maxum 2000 SR3
260 Mercruiser 5.0 MPI
Snap in carpet
Depth finder
Pop up Cleats
Bow Filler Cushions
Bimini Top
Battery Switch
Sport Seating
Tandem Axle Trailer

I'm stoked!!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:23 AM   #10
Lt. Commander

Conrats on the purchase! You are going to love the product. Enjoy and good luck.
2008 Infiniti G-35
Old 10-28-2009, 01:14 AM   #11
Ensign

Thanks! Got a killer deal (imo) and it's certainly going to put the current Bayliner 175 to shame. lol

Edit: Just read your sig, Brian...I feel like I'm trying to copy you or something. (I now have the Maxum 2000 SR3, an 04 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4, and an 08 G37. lol)
Old 10-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

Not copying me - you just have great taste in boats and cars! I enjoy the Infiniti almost as much as the Maxum! And the Ford is a great tow vehicle. Saturday is coming. Have fun.
2008 Infiniti G-35
Old 10-29-2009, 02:11 AM   #13
Ensign

lol...yep! Saturday is coming...and so is the 5 hour drive each way to get the thing. :? lol