Old 07-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default swim platform grab rail - what diameter?

So sitting here in the Detroit rain (once again) and thinking about getting a Magma kettle grill on order from Defender. (The original size is on sale for $137.00 - http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...6219&id=930353) I thought about the various mounts available and think I'll go with a rail mount and do the grilling off the swim platform on the port side so access to/from the swim platform via ladder or through transom door is not interrupted. Magma has a couple of different mounts available based on rail diameter. Anyone out there know the diameter of the hand rail above the trunk on a 2001 2500 SCR? I probably won't be back down to the boat until weekend and would like to get this on order.

seaman-recruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Default Grab Rail

See if you get the photo. My 2003 2400 SE has a 7/8" stainless grab rail.

Sherman

SRPATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Admiral

On our 2001 3000 scr which is alittle bigger than yours I have the grill attachment mount mounted between the storage locker doors on the back end of the stern over the ski platform.

The only thing I would change is to get an extension pole so when the grill drips it is not on my old towel that I have down on the platform but would be over the water. They make an attachment that uses four screws and is very easy to attach.

Just another suggestion than using the rail.

Roger

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Thanks for the quick replies and your suggestion Roger. I think that hand rail on Sherman's boat is the exact one I have. I guess I can get the credit card tee'd up and spend a few cyber bucks now.

PS to Sherman - did you do that extended platform yourself? It looks great and I may have to give that project some serious consideration. (I'm hijacking my own thread!)
Old 07-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
Lieutenant

I bought mine from swimplatforms.com. That is great if you are located in Phoenix. I bit the bullet and paid the extra for crating and shipping to FL. $1731 delivered. Took 2 hours to install. It is a custom platform from a mold designed for the boat, 2003 2400SE and came with everything but some 5200. After we used it the first time, It was worth twice the price. Before, adding gas or using the pumpout required hanging on for dear life with one hand and using the other for everything else, now it's not even an issue. Makes docking simpler as now your dock hand can work from the platform with ease.
SRPATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Thanks Sherman. I agree that in the context of your overall boating investment that's not a crazy amount to spend especially if you get that much more enjoyment on the boat. Time to start sweet talking the Admiral into getting one.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #7

There are really only two sized handrails on boats 7/8" and 1". There may be some odd custom sizes or rarer sizes, but those are the standards. To my knowledge, Maxum (Brunswick) uses 7/8" on most.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:02 AM   #8
Lieutenant

Thanks Shrew. I'm pretty sure at this point it is in fact 7/8". The smallest Magma rail mount fits 7/8" and 1" so hopefully I'm covered. Now if it would just stop raining...............................