Old 06-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Ensign

Default swim ladder

Hi, new to the site but have read many of the postings and they have helped in my boating.
I have a 2000 Maxum 1900sc, love the boat but the darn swim ladder plate cover keeps coming off. Has anyone expierence this problem with their boats and if so what was your fix?

Thanks
Thomas

Old 02-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Ensign

Hey, I bought a 1999 2100 SR and i am having the same exact issue.. My fiberglass swim ladder cover on my swim platform has come off. How did you end up mounting the cover onto the swim platform? Right now I was thinking of using a marine-tex or something like that. But if I do, it may never come off again(which I guess may not be the end of the world.. but I wouldnt be able to get to the ladder if I needed to). Anyway, from the factory it looks like they used a strong caulk/silicon adhesive. All I need is something strong enough to bond the two fiberglass surfaces together and hold strong in saltwater use!!!

IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS

Islandhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #3

Hi IslandHopper, welcome Aboard. Unfortunately, you are replying to a post submitted on 06/27/08 (just shy of 4 years ago). Unfortunately, the original poster (OP) has only submitted 2 posts (One of which was 4 years ago). I believe that a boarding ladder is a required piece of safety equipment, though that may vary from state to state. If it is not a required piece of safety equipment, then it should be. You NEED a means to get a person back on board should they fall overboard. Even docks are required to have a ladder in the event someone falls in.

Sealing the cover closed would be a very bad idea IMHO. We are talking only about the cover, correct? Do you NEED the cover? A few pics of the problem might go a long way towards a solution. If yo ucan upload a few pics or a detailed description of the cover failure, then it might make it easier to suggest a solution. I would be very surprised if this was afixed to teh boat with a adhesive sealant from the factory. These things are easy to break if kicked by someone while it is up. I would suspect the previous owner (PO) probably broke it and you are looking at how he fixed it. Just my .02
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

I used a marine grade silicone similar to what you would use on through hull fittings to hold it on. I have had no issues with it thus far and it was put back on several years ago. If it needs to come up, then I can pry it off. FYI, I lost the ladder and had to replace it thus I had to remove and replace the cover on my 1999 1900sr.
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1084.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1770
dsbunton646 is offline   Reply With Quote