Old 10-08-2015, 04:45 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Steering Wheel Removal

I did not want to start a new thread and I thought I could get an answer here. The wheel is held on by a 3/4" poly nut but will not come off. I am afraid to force it and I have no place to attach the puller bolts.

2004 Maxum 2400 SE (wheel says Dino? on center). I want to get a new wheel and there is one on EBay with a spline.

Spline or key? Force it off?

Daleo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleo56 View Post
I did not want to start a new thread and I thought I could get an answer here. The wheel is held on by a 3/4" poly nut but will not come off. I am afraid to force it and I have no place to attach the puller bolts.

2004 Maxum 2400 SE (wheel says Dino? on center). I want to get a new wheel and there is one on EBay with a spline.

Spline or key? Force it off?

Not sure but can you thread a piece of 1/2 inch iron pipe through the wheel spokes and wedge it against the deck to prevent it from moving? You'll need to use a old piece of carpet or something to protect the deck then use a breaker bar and socket to remove the nut.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #3

Making me split the threads because you're too lazy to start a new thread is no justification for hijacking someone post.

I've moved these posts to their own thread in the General section.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
Admiral

Sticking with the new thread for you.

A car steering wheel puller does not work for boats you need to use a gear puller. Claws go into wheel spokes and the center pin will push against the steering shaft.

I have no idea if its splined or keyed.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Sticking with the new thread for you.

A car steering wheel puller does not work for boats you need to use a gear puller. Claws go into wheel spokes and the center pin will push against the steering shaft.

I have no idea if its splined or keyed.
I will try the gear puller and be careful with it. I'm going out next weekend and would hate to break it before I have the new one.

I googled the steering wheel for Maxum and some had the Dino wheels. Maybe I can just find a new center pad and clean the wheel.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
Lt. JG

i took mine off a few weeks ago. if its rack and pinion steering it will be a key way fitting not splines. un do the bolt but leave it on. get someone to pull the wheel at 3 and 6. hammer a soft mallet onto the loosened nut and it should come off. put lots of grease on when you put the next one on.

i had a rib with a splined one which did go solid! i had to cut the wheel off in the end.
Portholme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portholme View Post
i took mine off a few weeks ago. if its rack and pinion steering it will be a key way fitting not splines. un do the bolt but leave it on. get someone to pull the wheel at 3 and 6. hammer a soft mallet onto the loosened nut and it should come off. put lots of grease on when you put the next one on.

i had a rib with a splined one which did go solid! i had to cut the wheel off in the end.
This does have rack and pinion steering. Thank you for the heads up. The wheel I was going to buy was a spline wheel. Thank you again!