Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Spring maintenance

Hi All,

There were blue skies and 65 degrees in Atlanta yesterday so I was on the lake in no time. So now, I'm starting to think about the spring and getting everything ship shape prior to really starting the season in the next month or two.

I have a couple of questions regarding maintenance. When I bought the boat, I had a complete service done on the engine and genny. All of the fluids were replaced and all of the joints, bearings, seals, etc were changed and greased etc. Since then I've only put on 20 hours so my first question is, what maintenance should I look at getting done prior to the season?

Second question is regarding the radar arch. I've attached a picture that shows where it is attached and as you can see, there is a load of white caulk where it comes together. question here is, does that look like a normal application or has someone gotten carried away with a caulk gun? Any suggestions to clean this up?

Lastly, while I purchased a Lowrence HDS5 late last year, I never did get it installed. I'll be doing that fairly soon and was wondering if anyone with a similar boat to the 2900 SCR (2001 model) could give me some pointers on where they have installed their GPS/Depth/fish finder? There is limited space above the controls and the windscreen.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
096.JPG  

Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Admiral

Hi Cym
well..for commissioning a boat after layup...the best thing to do is to at least change the oils in the drive and engine...the genny is a good idea but not really necessary.....the engine and drive needs to be replaced cuz it's really in contact with salt water or the water in general....so acids build up and can do harm to the engine...overall there's little to do except to get rid of the pink stuff in the water lines and to refresh the water tank with some white vinegar....that will get rid of the pink stuff taste...

man that is one ugly caulking job....what I'd do is go to home despot...get one of those plastic caulking removal tools and remove most of that crap....there is another tool there for installation...it has several corners on it that will provide a nicer finish to your caulking job...then just apply the caulk and use to tool to smooth out the instl.....I'd use masking tape for a cleaner edge too...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Admiral

"Lastly, while I purchased a Lowrence HDS5 late last year, I never did get it installed. I'll be doing that fairly soon and was wondering if anyone with a similar boat to the 2900 SCR (2001 model) could give me some pointers on where they have installed their GPS/Depth/fish finder? There is limited space above the controls and the windscreen."

the HD5 has a built in gps antenna in the unit. so no antenna needed....but the only place is really on the blank spot on the dash or use one of those mounts....zram mounts are nice ...
I have the HD5 and it's built in...awesome unit...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:29 AM   #4
Lt. JG

From what I have read, you should really change your fluids in the Fall before layup. Acids build up in the oil and you don't want to give it all winter to work on your engine. Having said that I sometimes don't get to it before layup and end up changing them in the Spring. Shame on me.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Thanks for the response guys. I think I'll follow the advice and have all of the fluids changed again. It obviously cant hurt! :-)

Cheers.
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

I allways have the annual service at the end of the year along with winterise ... so as it sits for a few months, it's on clean oil, and antifreeze coolant (mine is direct cooled)

Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote