Old 07-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Speedometer

Speedometer just randomly stopped working while out on the water the other day. I have a 2001 Maxum 2500 SCR. Anyone have any quick fix ideas I could try before really having to dig in? I've heard sometimes there is a water inlet that can become clogged and can be simply unclogged and you back in business. Is this true for my boat? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

brineair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #2

There should be a small pickup tube in the outdrive. sometimes it needs to be reamed out. Do you have a GPS? They are more accurate.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Thanks for the quick response Shrew! I will look into the pickup tube. I do not have a GPS built into the boat. Just my phone. Eventually I will get one though. Thanks again!
Old 07-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Admiral

Are you take on water in your bilge? If so your tube may have come undone.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Admiral

IMO the tube most likely came off. Raise the drive about half way, the tube will be on the forward side between where the front of the trim cylinders mount. Push the tube back onto the plastic nipple.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
Are you take on water in your bilge? If so your tube may have come undone.
This may be me not knowing what I'm talking about exactly, but I'm not sure if I'm taking water on in the bilge anymore than I normally would while being in the water. By this I mean my bilge will empty water from the boat every so often while we are in the water. Maybe every 10-15 minutes.

Is this tube you are referring to on the outdrive or inside the engine compartment?
Old 07-25-2016, 05:33 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
IMO the tube most likely came off. Raise the drive about half way, the tube will be on the forward side between where the front of the trim cylinders mount. Push the tube back onto the plastic nipple.

Awesome! I think you answered a previous question I just asked Phillbo. Thank again guys for all you help. I'll keep you updated.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #8
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by brineair View Post
This may be me not knowing what I'm talking about exactly, but I'm not sure if I'm taking water on in the bilge anymore than I normally would while being in the water. By this I mean my bilge will empty water from the boat every so often while we are in the water. Maybe every 10-15 minutes.

Is this tube you are referring to on the outdrive or inside the engine compartment?
You shouldn't be taking on water underway. Especially to where the pump turns on every 10-15 minutes!
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #9
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
You shouldn't be taking on water underway. Especially to where the pump turns on every 10-15 minutes!
Oh yeah. It isn't taking on water underway. Only while sitting anchored, or not running in other words.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #10
Admiral

You should never take on water. If your bilge pump is cycling on every 10 minutes you have an issue that needs to be addressed. Have the bellows looked at by a professional.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Quote:
You should never take on water. If your bilge pump is cycling on every 10 minutes you have an issue that needs to be addressed. Have the bellows looked at by a professional.
Thanks for the info! I will have it checked out right away. How often should the bilge be letting water out?
Old 07-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #12
Admiral

Never.. It should be dry all the time.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:03 PM   #13
Admiral

Quote:

100% agree this is an issue that needs to be addressed ASAP!

Mike
Old 07-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #14
Lieutenant

Quote:

Ok. Now I'm definitely going to get this checked out. But just for a little background to make sure I'm not overacting here. I've had the boat for almost 2 years now (it is 15 years old) and yes the bilge while sitting anchored in the water will pump a significant amount of water out every 10 or 15 minutes or so. I'd venture to say 1 to at most 2 gallons each time.

I have never noticed it pumping while underway at any speed. Granted I've never really looked over the side of the boat while driving to see if water was pumping out of it.

When I look down in the engine compartment you can see the bilge pump (red cylindrical motor) right in front of the boat motor in the bottom of the boat (deepest point). There is usually a little bit of water down there at all times while the boat is in the water. Its even in there after I pull it out for a couple days. But it usually seems to be such a little amount that it isn't enough to pump out as it isn't getting above the level needed to be pumped out. I'm talking maybe a half gallon (60ish oz.) at most at any given time sitting in the bottom of the boat by the pump. I've never ever opened the engine compartment and been worried that there is too much water (at least from what I can see). I can always walk around down there for the most part and it be dry.

So am I just getting lucky that my bilge pump hasn't given out yet? And from the sounds of it a bilge pump on lets a say a brand new boat or a newly re-seald/gasketed boat should never pump unless there is a leak somewhere. Which is obviously not ideal.

Sorry for the long winded message. Just wanted to clear some things up before I drop a bunch of money to have it looked at.

Thank you both again for all your help!
Old 07-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #15

What kind of a drive do you have? It is not uncommon for the Transom Assembly seal to let get and start letting in water. The Bellows are also a very common means for water intrusion. How long has it been since the bellows were replaced?
Old 07-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #16
Lieutenant

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
What kind of a drive do you have? It is not uncommon for the Transom Assembly seal to let get and start letting in water. The Bellows are also a very common means for water intrusion. How long has it been since the bellows were replaced?
Shrew, I have a mercruiser bravo 3 outdrive. I believe thats the part of the motor you are asking about? And I have no idea when it was last replaced. I've had it for 2 years and have never replaced it myself. The boat is 15 years old. Prob time to replace it all (gaskets/seals/bellows).
Old 07-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #17

I would haul the boat and have the bellows replaced. If it's still leaking water, I would look at the transom assembly.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #18
Admiral

If you are pumping out 1 - 2 gallons every 10 - 15 minutes while at rest, yes you have been lucky so far. A boat should not be taking on water at all under normal conditions. The bilge pump is there for rain water and emergency leaks.

Mike
Old 07-26-2016, 05:51 PM   #19
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brineair View Post
. There is usually a little bit of water down there at all times while the boat is in the water. Its even in there after I pull it out for a couple days.

You need to pull your drain plug when you pull the boat out of the water.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #20
Lieutenant

Mike,

I could be exaggerating on the amount/time ratio there, but it does seem like a lot more than normal. I think it is time to replace all the things mentioned above. Thank you for your help.

Phillbo,

I always pull the plug when I take the boat out of the water so that it will drain out the back. However due to the slope in the boat parking lot of my marina it may not tilt back far enough even with the trailer jack lifted up all the way.

All in all it sounds like I need to do some work this winter.

Can I get a secondary bilge pump for the rest of the season to backup the one currently installed? Or is that not highly recommended?

Thanks again guys!