Old 04-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Speedo pickup alpha 1 gen2

I have tried everything to get it cleared short of removing the lower unit. Anybody have any tricks or suggestions to try and get it cleared. I am certain it has to be clogged with something in the drive. I have used air to check the tubing all the way back to the drive. Everything is good. I removed the tube from the drive and have used a piece of wire from both ends of the drive to try and clear the blockage. The lower water pickup hole is clear, i used a drill bit and it goes in fine and there is no obstruction at that point. I used compressed air and tried to blow air throught the drive from the bottom and cannot get it to come out the top where the tubing connects. Any body know how big the diameter of the hole that runs verticaly in the drive is? Is there any way to push a piece of metal wire completely through it? Are there any seals that can be damaged if I try to use a higher air pressure from either end?

dsbunton646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #2

I measure speed by GPS. Boat speedo's aren't the most accurate (IMHO) and are riddleed with issues.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

When you blew air into the tube from the drive end had you disconnected the tube from the speedo first?

If there is an obstruction in the tube it had to enter from the drive so forcing air in from the drive side pushes the obstruction farther into the hose.

Try compressed air from the speedo side. If that doesn't work you can also try water from a syringe - if you can find a syringe that the speedo hose fits tightly on. Follow the water with compressed air. You might also try a hand held vacume pump from the drive side. Most of those pumps come with an assortment of adapters.

Whatever you try, make sure you disconnect the hose from the speedo.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Admiral

take a 1/4" drill bit..by hand power only...try the pitot hole on the leading edge of the drive and see if there is anything stuck in there....disconnect the hose at the top of the drive...go to the gauge now..and blow air all the way down...NEVER towards the gauge...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Thanks everyone. Yes I had tried all that stuff and I did disconect the speedo prior to the compressed air. The only thing I hadn't tried was adding the water. On the way home I stopped by the auto parts store and picked up a vacumm hose adapter that made for a tight seal on the upper part of the drive where I could get the compressor nozzle seated better. After feeding some water in their and letting it simmer for a bit, I forced some air in again in short quick bursts and continued to poke away at with a very small drill bit. It finally gave way. I think the water made it happen. Thanks again everyone. I was about to give up.
dsbunton646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
Admiral

cool..thanks for the report back...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote