Old 07-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Sounds funny

I have a 2008 1800 mx with 35hrs on it. When idling it sounds like a slight knocking pinging noise? Only at idle.. any ideas. Also every once in a while when idling i will get a weird squeel noise....

Also, i have problems with starting it after its warm.. It will start right away but drop down to 500 rpms and run rough... once it is in gear for like 30 secs it will be fine after that(idle at 800).. i am assuming i just need to let it warm up a bit?
Help is appreciated..

Thanks

toplessfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #2

Default Re: Sounds funny

It's probably knocking/pinging/clacking/tapping at all RPM ranges, but the Db level is low enough at idle that you can actually hear it. Without hearing the sound, it's REALLY tough to tell. It could be bad gas, it could simply need a valve adjustment. I'd put my money on the valves needing adjustment.

the squeel is most likely a belt.

Belts can stretch and valve's can tighten a bit during break in and typically should be checked at the first scheduled maintenance interval. This is one of the reasons the first scheduled maintenance is traditionally so short. I would expect 35 hours is past the first scheduled maintenance, isn't it?

Do the RPM's eventually rise and the roughness go away if you don't put the boat into gear and let it warm up on it's own?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Ensign

Default Re: Sounds funny

yeah they will go back up once it is started and warmed up... Is the valve adjustment and all that covered under warrenty?
toplessfun is offline   Reply With Quote