Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #1

Default SOPA/PIPA...a call to action

Ok, I'll start with a short apology. I don't normally like to get on a soapbox when it comes to my thoughts on political topics, whether they be fidcal or social. This thread would certainly be more appropriate in the "Dock Walk' (Off topic) section, however I believe that SOPA and PIPA can potentially have an advserse impact on sites very much like this one, and I want to ensure it gets the proper visibility by our members.

First off, while I want to encourage discussion, what I would like to ensure the thread remains civil and respectful.

I've included links to both SOPA and PIPA below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PROTECT_IP_Act

What does this mean to you? These are aimed at protecting 'intellectual property' and copywrited material. So far this sounds good, right? Not in our case. The potential impact to sites who, in particular, have user contributions are most at risk.

Let's say someone posts some information or content, such as information on a Mercruiser motor, excerpts from a manual, specs, etc. Mercruiser or the Dept. of Justice could take action, including:

barring online advertising networks and payment facilitators from doing business with the allegedly infringing website

barring search engines from linking to such sites

requiring Internet service providers to block access to such sites.

The bill would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted content a crime, with a maximum penalty of five years in prison for ten such infringements within six months.

We will slowly see the era of the online forum potentially come to a close. This website runs on advertising dollars. The owners of the site cannot put themselves in a position where they are held liable for the postings of members. This would require massive ammounts of moderating to ensure the site is compliant and will significantly reduce the content. PLEASE visit one fo the following sites who are currently running digital petitions. If you would prefer, PLEASE write to your Senator or representative and urge them to oppose SOPA and PIPA.

https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

Default Big brother UGH!

I agree sir. I'm not a political person at all.... Even being a retired Marine I have never voted once, I fought for my county because I believe in freedom.... I just don't think it makes any difference what bone head is in charge of it..... If I don't like any of the people running I'm not going to make that choice.

I'm a computer scientist and an avid computer user. I enjoy learning from others on sites such as this and also enjoy sharing what I have learned over the years. I also enjoy Craigslist and eBay and several others that are now in jeopardy. I can say I'm NOT in favor of either of these proposals and I have made it know in more ways than one. That should say something from someone that won't vote!!

Live on Maxum Owners Club!