Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Smarts tabs sx who's got em?

Anybody have the Smart tabs on their boat? Specifically on any 17-22' boat? I am thinking of getting a set but wondered if anybody who has them and may have installed them personally can give some input on them. I currently have one of those sterndrive mounted fins, but it makes the boat roll on the side when trimed down and turning sharpe. I have read reviews on them and they look pretty good.

dsbunton646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Commander

I am installing mine tonight on my 1900 SR. I'll tell you how they work after this weekend.

CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryME View Post
I am installing mine tonight on my 1900 SR. I'll tell you how they work after this weekend.
Sweet! The video made it look pretty simple for installation. Good luck and keep me posted. I have the same size boat so I will definetly be waiting to here from you.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
Lt. JG

I helped a buddy install them on his 2300 last year. It made a huge difference in both getting on plane and the ability to stay on 'step' at lower speeds. Practically zero bow rise now; without the tabs you pretty much had to stand up to see where you were going till she finally climbed on plane.
I'd be surprised if you didn't just love them.
Good luck.
Twmcneilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:48 AM   #5
Commander

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050116a.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	1309Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050119a.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	1310Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050120a.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	1311Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050121a.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	1312

Got them installed and I am very happy. It was painful to drill 16 holes below the waterline, so I hope the performance increase is worth it. I'll keep you posted on how she performs. I installed the 80# tabs.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:11 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

The hole drilling had me a bit worried too! They look good. Quick question, does the ladder hit the tab when deployed all the way out? Mine is similar to yours and I am wondering if it would hit the tab.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmcneilly View Post
I helped a buddy install them on his 2300 last year. It made a huge difference in both getting on plane and the ability to stay on 'step' at lower speeds. Practically zero bow rise now; without the tabs you pretty much had to stand up to see where you were going till she finally climbed on plane.
I'd be surprised if you didn't just love them.
Good luck.
I can relate to the bow rise. I generaly take a boat load of people when I go so the added weight makes it worse. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:20 AM   #8
Commander

No problem hitting the ladder. There is plenty of room.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:30 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

Good. Let me know how they do, and if you recommend them after your test run. I think I am sold, unless you have some complaint after the test.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
Ensign

Well, I have an 1800MX and they don't fit, so I will have to try and call MFGR tomorrow to get the non sx type (stainless model) so they can be screwed to the bottom of the aft deck as the transom is not high enough for them to fit. I had ordered them for the holiday weekend so it was a bit of a disappointment.
CLeegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #11
Commander

Had my first outing with the Smart Tab SX tabs today. Didn't do any watersports, but I was happy with the hole-shot and lowered on plane speed. The speedometer doesn't work so I can't be sure of the speed difference, but could feel how much easier the boat stayed on plane. It wasn't a miracle for the hole-shot, but there is no replacement for displacement and a single 4.3l doesn't compare to a 5.7l.

I would give them a 7 out of 10 based on today alone. More to come after some more time.

-JP
Old 07-05-2011, 02:02 AM   #12
Commander

I tired them several years ago on a Regal 6.8 (22.3') and they made very little difference and the little gas struts failed within 6 months. My son now has the boat at the Smart Tabs are still on the boat and broke.
dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:52 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

Just curious CountryME did you use them at the center adjustment points? or did you play with them to see which worked best? I see they recommend the center adjustment hole, but with the added battery weight I have I would probably start at close to max or at least on the stiffer setting than center. My 1900 does have a 5.0 which may help with the hole shot as well.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #14
Commander

I left them in the middle position and had no time or place to adjust them to see what worked better. I have double batteries, but my v6 vice v8 makes my 1900 lighter in the back than yours. There was a lot of chop and I couldn't tell if I had a porpoising problem. Next outing I will crank up the resistance and see if she performs better.

-JP
Old 07-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

So what is the outcome? Did you have a chance to adjust them any? Are you still happy with them?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #16
Lt. JG

I have a 1900XR with a 150 mercury OB 2 stroke. Also planning to install trim tabs. Spoke to some shops which said that for such a "big" boat they would not recommend smart tabs at all (one called them toys and that they will brake in 4-6 months). Suggested Bennets real trimtab as you then can also adjust the leaning of the boat depending on the the load and wind etc. However, in my opinion there is such a big price difference that if there is someone with several seasons experience of the Smart Tabs I would appreciate more user experience. Even better if someone got of both these and conventional tabs. thks Mag
Mag535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #17
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag535 View Post
I have a 1900XR with a 150 mercury OB 2 stroke. Also planning to install trim tabs. Spoke to some shops which said that for such a "big" boat they would not recommend smart tabs at all (one called them toys and that they will brake in 4-6 months). Suggested Bennets real trimtab as you then can also adjust the leaning of the boat depending on the the load and wind etc. However, in my opinion there is such a big price difference that if there is someone with several seasons experience of the Smart Tabs I would appreciate more user experience. Even better if someone got of both these and conventional tabs. thks Mag
Me too.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #18
Admiral

imho....it sounds like the mechanic is trying to make a buck.....smart tabs are designed for your size boat....if you keep the boat out of the water on a trailer..they can last indefinitely as long as you rinse the salt off after each run or weekend.....yes ..bennett trim tabs are better than smart tabs due to it's infinit setting ability....

you have to ask yourself if the smart tabs is what you'd like or will the smart tabs work better and do the job.....

just my 2 braincells....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #19
Lt. Commander

Smart Tabs SX got rated as one of the top 6 best ideas ever in the Sport Boat and RIB magazine in the UK this month. They claim 15% quicker acceleration, 50% less bow lift, 11% more fuel economy and 10% more speed. The boss of Mavern Marine says he wont let a boat under his care leave without a set.

I am very tempted to fit some to my 1750, i have no idea why they wouldnt fit an earlier posters boat that is a 19'.
Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #20
Lieutenant

I have them. I guess they work pretty well. I installed them when I first bought the boat so I don't have a "before" comparison.

2001 Maxum 2300SC/5.7(250HP) Mercruiser Alpha One Gen 2

Jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote