Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #21
Lt. JG

Default What magazine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpa1 View Post
Smart Tabs SX got rated as one of the top 6 best ideas ever in the Sport Boat and RIB magazine in the UK this month. They claim 15% quicker acceleration, 50% less bow lift, 11% more fuel economy and 10% more speed. The boss of Mavern Marine says he wont let a boat under his care leave without a set.

I am very tempted to fit some to my 1750, i have no idea why they wouldnt fit an earlier posters boat that is a 19'.
Can you give the name or link to the magazine pls. Would like to read the story.
Thks MAG

Mag535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #22
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryh3 View Post
I have them. I guess they work pretty well. I installed them when I first bought the boat so I don't have a "before" comparison.

2001 Maxum 2300SC/5.7(250HP) Mercruiser Alpha One Gen 2
How long have they been in use? In other words, How long have you had the boat with them installed? They seem to be holding up well?

dsbunton646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #23
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbunton646 View Post
How long have they been in use? In other words, How long have you had the boat with them installed? They seem to be holding up well?
Probably only 12-15 hours of run time. I bought the boat last fall and did not launch it until this spring. They seem to be holding up well. They are made from a thick plastic. I would have liked to have stainless hardware instead of plastic, but for $100 what can you expect.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #24
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag535 View Post
Can you give the name or link to the magazine pls. Would like to read the story.
Thks MAG
I did check the online version of the magazine and couldnt find it in there. Its SpotsBoat and RIB.

Ill type the article here;

Six of the Best ideas Ever.

Smart Tabs SX
Whats special?

Startingly simple, economical, automatic, non electric trim tabs that transform your boat.

For power dependant boaters like us, we naturally crave high performance. We want to know our boats are speedy, fuel efficient and easy to handle. So to keep us running at optimal levels at all times, we constantly play with the trim of the boat in the elusive search for that perfect balance. But with constantly changing sea states, this can become a bit of a bother...unless your tabs are automatic of coarse.

Just attach a pair of these new Smart FX Tabs to the back of your boat or rib (they suit both) and they will set about delivering a promise of 15% quicker acceleration, 50% less bow lift, 11% more fuel economy and 10% more speed.
Working by using the resistance of the water, and promising no maintanence, this product comes heavily endorsed by industry stalwarts including Mike Dowey at Mavern Marine. he wont let a boat under his care leave without a pair and confesses 'my boat is a completely different beast with them on'

Now also sold by Mavern Marine for £149.99 these tabs are a seriously good investment. In fact were so smitten, were giving a pair of tabs away for free as this months competion. See page 84 for details.

Now back to Warpa at the helm lol
if these things offer the mpg increase they claim, they would pay for themselves real quick
Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #25
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLeegard View Post
Well, I have an 1800MX and they don't fit, so I will have to try and call MFGR tomorrow to get the non sx type (stainless model) so they can be screwed to the bottom of the aft deck as the transom is not high enough for them to fit. I had ordered them for the holiday weekend so it was a bit of a disappointment.
Update- I did get the original ones installed but had to mount them inboard quite a bit 11" instead of the 3-5" that they recommended. I let the sealant cure a week before I put it in the water and they appear to work. Bowrise is definately less and it planed earlier, cannot tell about top speed as always had a group of people with and was unable to measure. The boat used to ride with the starboard side a bit higher than the port and that seems to be gone now - so I think we have a success here. Greg at Smart Tabs was good to work with - as I called him 2-3 times and emailed pics to him as I was nervous about deviating from the instructions with the mounting on the transom.
CLeegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #26
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLeegard View Post
Update- I did get the original ones installed but had to mount them inboard quite a bit 11" instead of the 3-5" that they recommended. I let the sealant cure a week before I put it in the water and they appear to work. Bowrise is definately less and it planed earlier, cannot tell about top speed as always had a group of people with and was unable to measure. The boat used to ride with the starboard side a bit higher than the port and that seems to be gone now - so I think we have a success here. Greg at Smart Tabs was good to work with - as I called him 2-3 times and emailed pics to him as I was nervous about deviating from the instructions with the mounting on the transom.
great ! got any pics of them mounted?
dsbunton646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #27
Ensign

I would if I could - where do you go for instructions of how to post jpg files? Tries the image icon but unable to suck any files in.
CLeegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #28
Commander

Just click on the blue ? in the upper right corner of the Manage Attachments popup. There it shows max size allowed. If they are too big and you upload, you cannot attach them. Here is what it shows for allowed attachments:

Filetype Max Filesize Max Width Max Height

bmp 195.3 KB 620 280
doc 195.3 KB - -
gif 195.3 KB 620 280
jpe 19.5 KB 620 280
jpeg 195.3 KB 620 280
jpg 195.3 KB - -
pdf 195.3 KB - -
png 195.3 KB 620 280
psd 19.5 KB - -
txt 19.5 KB - -
zip 195.3 KB - -