Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Smart Tabs on 2300 SR ???? Anyone have Them on This Boat???

Hi all,
We have a 2001 Maxum 2300 SR bowrider, 24 feet overall length, 5.7 250 carb, alpha 1 gen 2 drive, 14.5X19 prop, Max rpm 4400-4800. She weighs about 4200 lbs. We currently have the little bat wings on the drive. With two on board and half tank gas consistantly get 45 mph gps and 4600 rpm trimmed best and calm water. My only gripe with this boat is that it could use a little better time on plane and most importantly the porpoising that needs to be addressed. We do 95% of our boating on NC lakes but dabble in the intercostal waterway on occasion. We usually have two adults three kids and a couple extra kiddos and general stuff onboard. Read many reviews and these new Smart tabs SX with 90# actuators. My question is will these help the porpoising to a degree worth drilling for me? I know that larger heavier boats have helm adjustable tabs and I am on the cusp of that. I really dont want them for the boat is incredibly stable as is still or underway and not wanting one more thing to fiddle with while driving. Seriously considering smart tabs or hydrofoil sport 300 since the holes in the cavitation plate are already drilled from previous owner. I would love to hear from some one with a 2300 any style with these on and their experience. My other question is using a 17 pitch prop to help the max rpm reach the top of the range (dont cruise there of course but must help overall rpm range I'm sure.

jolie lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #2

Personally, I'm not a fan of the hydrofoil. You state you have 'bat wings' on the drive, then go on to state that you're considering a hydrofoil. I may not be clear on what the 'bat wings' are. A Hydrofoil bolts to the outboard or outdrive cavitation plate and give lift to the stern. This can reduce bow lift, increase time to plane. It will be doubtful as to whether it will resolve porpoising. Reducing the amount of Drive 'out' will do this, though it will be a bit more limited as compared to tabs. However, a boat is designed to plane on the hull. A Hydrofoil is providing lift at the drive itself. Yes, it transfers this lift to the hull, but only by appplying upward force on the drive, and transom collar. The drive and transom collar were not designed to be weight bearing. Trim tabs will provide lift at the HULL, not the drive and should be the prefered method. As for Tabs, yes, they are beneficial.

As to whether you choose smart tabs, electric tabs or hydraulic tabs is a matter of preference. They will allo require drilling. Smart tabs are the most affordable solution. They are fixed-adjustable. You can adjust the angle (typically stopped or out of the water) to a fixed position. You will not be able to adjust dynamically for seastate and load distribution (no left to right attitude adjustment). They will only improve bow rise and running attititude, though they should reduce porpoising in certain drive positions.

Adjustable tabs can be dynamically tuned for laod distribution (left to right attitude adjustment), as well as seastate and speed.

Ultimately, anything is better than nothing, and I would at least consider smart tabs.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks, the bat wings are like the Overtons brand of hydrofoil. I am leaning toward Smart tabs I guess I am just needing that bit of assurance from someone with these and on this size boat. The boat is already very stable left to right. We just need some of the porpoising down. It's not terrible but my wife has a bad back and I'm trying everything possible to help her enjoy boating.
jolie lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Bill,

Look at it this way; the Smart Tabs might take care of the porpoising, but the adjustable tabs definitely will.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Commander

Smart Tabs mads a big difference in porpoising on my 1900 SR. It was painful to drill into the transom, but knowing I did it myself and it was well sealed made me feel more comfortable. As Dan said, adjustable tabs will affect what you are worried about, but the difference in price is significant. Just my $.02.

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
Lieutenant

I have a 2300SC. I believe the smart tabs helped a lot with the porpoising.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Lt. JG

I had the hydraulic trim tabs on my 20ft trophy and I am highly considering putting them on the boat that I am purchasing now. (2002 maxum 2300 sc). Its nice to hit a button at the helm and have the entire boat correct itself in any situation and your discretion. Well worth it if you ask me. I have not been in the maxum yet so I do not know if it needs them or not, but when a few people situate to one side or another while under way its nice to be able to correct for it without them even knowing
ResQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Lt. JG

oh, the boat has the hydrofoil on it now and I havent ever ran with one of those before. So I really do not know on that end of things @jerryh3 - how do you like your boat? How long have you had it/any issues or good things?
ResQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Lieutenant

I've had it for two seasons. No major issues, just the normal stuff.