Old 07-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Smart Tab pics?

Anyone got a pic of smart tabs fitted to a maxum 1750 or similar size?

Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Admiral

nope...

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #3

Look at the instructions for smart tabs.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Look at the instructions for smart tabs.
I fitted them last weekend, am in contact with nauticus by email as im in the UK, will upload pics and explain a bit more when we have found the conclusion
Old 07-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

I've thought about it, but never followed through. We have kids tubing a lot and I did a little looking and found just going down in prop pitch to be an alternative to get onto plane faster. Tried this as I needed a spare prop anyway, and it worked great! Why do you want to put them on?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

I knew there was more to the story.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vffb507 View Post
I've thought about it, but never followed through. We have kids tubing a lot and I did a little looking and found just going down in prop pitch to be an alternative to get onto plane faster. Tried this as I needed a spare prop anyway, and it worked great! Why do you want to put them on?
With the leg fully down i have found the bow never drops low enough as on the 1750 unless there is a very large adult sat there the only thing to add weight is under the seats, all that can go there is the anchor.

So i fitted these last weekend and did the 1st test run the following day. The area i boat in is a busy area with a confused and choppy sea mad worse with island ferries and especially the 40 mph redjet which makes a 4' wash on top of the chop, we also have a double tide with prevailing wind heading inland, so one way or another its a rough ride.

Back to the tabs, ill copy and paste what i posted from my UK forum

Went down Saxon on saturday to nail them to the transom, large selection of hammers and gaffer tape and 30 mins later they were on. Was suggested a cure time of 10 hours for the 3M sealant, so no boating saturday. Went out today and as soon as i got it in gear and went to my 1500 rpm cruising speed i felt a huge difference, not subtle like i thought it would be, but huge. i would say around 3-5 mph quicker at that rev range than before, and best of all it went in a straight line, none of the constant wheel correction.

So i head down to my favorite haunt this season and on the plane it is so much more stable, boat feels 4 foot longer than it is, it took the solent chop with ease and the slamming is all but gone unless hitting the redjet wake. Heading home it was very rough just before ocean village where the tugs moor, a liner and the IOW ferry had both just left and was for some very large swell and it just glided so much smoother over it all. Even the lad who now drives the boat said there was no way we could have hit those waves at the speed we were going before the tabs were fitted, and as for the top speed that seems a lot quicker than the claimed 3-4 mph...all in all i am more than happy, even the mrs didnt say anything at planing speed when normally she is telling me to stop the boat banging. 8) 8)

All in all its the best £160 i have ever spent and i will be fitting them to any other boat i ever own.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Admiral

NAILED! I doubt this will hold up very long before nails will pull out due to stresses. They should be installed with screws.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
NAILED! I doubt this will hold up very long before nails will pull out due to stresses. They should be installed with screws.
I'm guessing he was just being cheeky, Mike.

Sounds like your results are great, Warpa, though I'm having trouble understanding how they can increase top speed.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Warpa, your boating with a 170SR? I never thought that tabs would make it that much better, especially in hevier seas. I may want to look into this too?
Old 07-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vffb507 View Post
Warpa, your boating with a 170SR? I never thought that tabs would make it that much better, especially in hevier seas. I may want to look into this too?

Yes it was a touch of English sarcasm they were fitted per manufacturers instructions and sealed with 3M 4200 sealant prior to winding the screws in.
I took a few pics that ill put up when next on the pc, trust me when I say they transformed the ride and handling. There is a before and after video on youtube showing the difference in handling ( will dig that link up too when home )
Because of the shape of my transom the actuators are at different angles to each other, the pics are for Nauticus to take a look at and recommend the settings as the downward pressures will be slightly different.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
Admiral

Got it! As you say us American's don't have a sense of humor

Then again I have seen some pretty shotty things done.

Mike
Old 07-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Got it! As you say us American's don't have a sense of humor

Then again I have seen some pretty shotty things done.
Your sense of humour isnt that bad as most of the comedy i watch over here is made over there....big band theory for starters

Now back to business, here are the pics. Email with pics is on its way to nauticus so they can work out what to have the settings at.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #14
Admiral

There be screw on them tabs;-)

Nice job and a really nice shine on the boat!

Mike
Old 07-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

Quote:
There be screw on them tabs;-)

Nice job and a really nice shine on the boat!
Thanks for the shine comment, boat is due to be put on stands for a wash this week as its dirty, still, it doesnt look too bad for a 1997....but i do polish boats on the side for a small living

It did take a wetsand to bring it up to how i wanted it.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #16
Admiral

I did a wet sand, polish, wax on the blue section of my 92' sea ray 200. Does wonders.
With your boat as a testimate to your work you should have no issue getting clients.

Mike
Old 07-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #17

I'mnot sure I understand what is going on in those pics. The portside ram looks liek it's installed different, and different than what I would assume the manufacturer recomended. I would have expect tthe ram to attach to the transom, not the underside of the swim platform. I would expect this to cause each ram to behave differently.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #18
Commander

Shrew, I'm pretty sure that's the entire purpose of the thread. The transom design of the 1750 does not lead to a symmetrical install of smart tabs. As such, Warpa has contacted nauticus to show them the install and get the recommended settings for the smart tabs to provide best performance. I have to agree with you though, that I would expect a uneven engagement with that set up, but once at speed, I would expect the tabs to be compressed and ride evenly.

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryME View Post
Shrew, I'm pretty sure that's the entire purpose of the thread. The transom design of the 1750 does not lead to a symmetrical install of smart tabs. As such, Warpa has contacted nauticus to show them the install and get the recommended settings for the smart tabs to provide best performance. I have to agree with you though, that I would expect a uneven engagement with that set up, but once at speed, I would expect the tabs to be compressed and ride evenly.

-JP
Says you. I read the entire thread and see no such question. Only a request for a pic and a statement that the manufacturer was contacted to advise on installation. I don't see where the manufacturer recommends the actuator be 'n' inches above the tab. Does this cause the tab to drop below 25 degrees?

I suppose if they say it is fine, and it appears to work, who cares what it looks like underwater.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Says you. I read the entire thread and see no such question. Only a request for a pic and a statement that the manufacturer was contacted to advise on installation. I don't see where the manufacturer recommends the actuator be 'n' inches above the tab. Does this cause the tab to drop below 25 degrees?

I suppose if they say it is fine, and it appears to work, who cares what it looks like underwater.
There was no question so to speak, but a little to reading between the lines Im still awaiting feedback from nauticus. At speed i did notice the wake was perfectly even and boat was level, and at all other speeds there was no notice that one was applying more pressure than the other, and as already stated the increase in performance, control and stability i stand by and would not be without them. Will update when i hear back from nauticus and will probably change the title of the thread to Smart Tabs SX fitted to Maxum 1750 so google will pick up on the search that may help others and lead them here if/when they encounter the same or similar problem.

mmwjr Thanks for the compliment on my work, nothing can beat a wet sand as its the only true way to flatten a surface, the flatter it is the better the shine, it also provides no real attachment for crap to stick to. Not sure what the economic climate is like in the states, but its still not great here. We just had a mini heatwave with temps into the 30's and the waterways were as near to dammit empty. With our fuel prices and wages being cut or frozen for the last few years its hard enough to keep a boat in dry stack or moored, let alone have it de winterized, serviced, filled with fuel and enjoyed....leaves the polishing right at the end of the priority scale.

Would love to live over there myself as the standard of living seems so much higher than here. Not sure what the boat polishing market is like there, but im a qualified carpenter and joiner in the construction trade, so have that to fall back on as i have been doing it 25 years. Have my cousins in Flushing NY and Long island, but Miami appeals to me