Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Ensign

Default slow pick up

Hi I am new to this boating thing and whilst out on my boat for the first and second time, when first accelerating the boat still carries on at slow pace and does not go any faster. after going back and forth on the throttle it eventually picks up. any ideas why???

andyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Captain

We'll need as much info as you can provide: size boat, type of engine, how heavily loaded, prop info? Do your rpm's gradually increase as you accelerate or do they stay at same position that you initially set the throttle?

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks jrsick it's a maxum 200sr 20ft long 5 litre v8 mercruiser . Havnt looked at the rpm as too busy listening to the sound of the engine . New to all this. Boat only had 2 people on .
andyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Captain

You should be able to get 50mph with your boat/motor setup. I think the rpm question is important and you should do a test to see how the engine is responding to the throttle. When is the last time you put fresh gas in it? Since the boat is new to you and you probably don't know the maintenance history, I recommend going through a full preventative maintenance routine: plugs, wires, distributor, engine oil change, stern drive lube change, oil filter, water separator, and impeller. See if you find anything with the basic check. This may sound like a lot to do but it is really not difficult and will increase your familiarity and confidence with your boat.
Any additional info you can give will result in more focused responses. Does motor start right up? All gauges indicate proper operation? Motor and gears sound normal? Engine oil and drive lube levels good. Trims working?
Hopefully some others will chime in with additional thoughts.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhudson View Post
...whilst out on my boat for the first and second time, when first accelerating the boat still carries on at slow pace and does not go any faster.
As you advance the throttle, does it sound like the engine RPM's are increasing? OR do they stay the same as you advance the throttle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhudson View Post
...after going back and forth on the throttle it eventually picks up. any ideas why???
Could you describe the behavior in more detail? Does it begin to work normally, with the RPM's increasing as you advance the throttle? Do you get up one plane and up to full speed? I would also get the motor up to wide open throttle (WOT) and trimmed properly and see what you're getting for max. RPM's.

Is sounds like a cable problem, but more info. would be helpful.

Welcome Aboard!
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Is the engine fuel injected or carb'd?

When you try to accelerate from a dead stop are you certain the drive all the way down Andy?

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote