Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Simpson Lawrence Windlass is TOAST

Hey Guys:
What Windlass would you suggest for easy replacement on a 2800 SCR ??

Mothers Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #2

What is the make/model you have now windlass you have now? What year 2800 SCR?

On the 2800 you should have enough room for a vertical windlass. I'd be more concerned with the layout of the hole and bolt patterns.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Lt. JG

It's a 2,000 2800 SCR / I currently have a Simpson Lawrence "spirit 600" installed which I removed and found locked up.
No parts available for the SL unit. So I'm thinking the Lewmar V700 which is pretty reasonably priced on EBAY for about 600.00
Just hoping it will match up well.
Mothers Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

I would also like to know what would be the best windless for a 2002 3300scr maxum. My 30 and 31 both used a horizontal windless as I had no room for a vertical due to the anchor hatch opening
Uncleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothers Day View Post
It's a 2,000 2800 SCR / I currently have a Simpson Lawrence "spirit 600" installed which I removed and found locked up.
No parts available for the SL unit. So I'm thinking the Lewmar V700 which is pretty reasonably priced on EBAY for about 600.00
Just hoping it will match up well.
The Simpson Lawrence Spirit 600 is a Vertical Windlass. I believe they were bought out by Lewmar. I would make sure the V700 mounting pattern matches, though I suspect it does.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleted View Post
I would also like to know what would be the best windless for a 2002 3300scr maxum. My 30 and 31 both used a horizontal windless as I had no room for a vertical due to the anchor hatch opening
Kinda hijacking someone else's thread here. What used to fit on the boats you no longer have is kind of irrelevant.

Do you have a windlass on the 33 you currently have? Do you have enough space in the anchor locker for a verticle? ( I believe you do).

There are pros and cons to both vertical and horizontal windlasses. Horizontal are completely above deck. They can clutter a small forepeak area. They do not need a large anchor locker. However the rode only goes about 1/4 way around the gypsy.

Vertical Windlasses maintain most of the mechanicals in the anchor locker. They require more headroom and locker volume, however they have a small profile on deck. The rode travels 1/2 way around the gypsy before dropping into the locker.

Sizing is based on boat size and weight of rode. The manufacturer will give size ranges. A V700 from Lewmar would work on a 3300.