Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Should I run my blowers?

So this blower thing. I have a carburated boat and have never had a problem before. Should I really run my blowers before starting the boat each time. I like to drink and just don't have the patience to run a blower or open my engine compartment when she doesn't start right off. What do you all think?

This Sunday at our local lake, state park ramp!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Burning Boat.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1455

tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

TS - I thought you had decided to just have the out drive fixed.

I musta misunderstood.......

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Yeah the 3300 is safely in a shop getting a drive. Me thinks the black cloud would have been much bigger if it was my girl burning. Not to mention my blower runs from the second I step on the boat until I'm on plane when I'm going to go out.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Admiral

Well Ts.............I teach the safe boating course for the USPS and all I say in class is that you don't have to do any of this because if that one time all this goes against you..... it will be your last time you never have to worry about it.

Oh and who knows who you might take along with you because of the quick decision that you made.

I have an idea........go turn your blower on first and then head to your cooler and get your cold one, pop the top off, take a drink and I bet you will have killed enough time (4 minutes) to be safe about it. IMHO

Safe Boating.......lets all be the good example.............. not the boating story on the 6 oclock news......

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #5

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleshep View Post
So this blower thing. I have a carburated boat and have never had a problem before. Should I really run my blowers before starting the boat each time. I like to drink and just don't have the patience to run a blower or open my engine compartment when she doesn't start right off. What do you all think?

This Sunday at our local lake, state park ramp!!

Attachment 1455
Hello? Allstate?

Wow, so thats what a Maxum 3300SCR looks like ablaze, funny, .....I thought the fire would be bigger? Maybe the 179 gals of fuel hadn't gone up yet in the photo?

I run the blower ALL the time and is the 1st thing to hit before lighting em up'

Balla Sera 3300SCR
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #6

Aside from this being a fairly funny series of posts for a somewhat horrible situation. (And by the way, I'm not judging, I slow down and look at accidents just like the rest of them, and I certainly don't look to make sure everyone is walking around and happy. I'm a sick @#$%#$, but at least I admit it). So along those same lines, does anyone have the back story on this one?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Admiral

You guys might get a chuckle with this one.........I also do VSC's and I recently did a check on an older Carver. Everything was going well until I openned the hatch and looked inside. The engine compartment was very clean but over between the batteries and the hull was a household power strip laying on the floor. On top of the two batteries were little bitty car chargers that were connected with alligator clips. They were plugged into the power strip. The power strip was plugged into a electrical outlet that was screw to the floor..........he failed!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
Admiral

hey...I smell some gas down in the engine bay.....hon...give me that lighter so I can check!!!BOOOOOOOM!!!!!!....

well...being as sick as shrew is...I also try to look at an accident...but I'm even sicker...I have been known to enter a burning bldg to see if anyone is in there ....or run into gunfire to watch the action!!!....not the sharpest stick in the pile......

but...yes...run the blower ...do the sniff test...if gas is present...ventilate and try and find the source.......this is sad to see a boat burning....being fresh from a disaster...I can feel for the boater....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Back story to the best of my knowledge was younger guys on an older boat. Had a hard time getting it started and spent a good amount of time choking the crap out of it trying to flood it to get it started. Don't know if blower was on or not but good lord guys if your running an older (especially) carbed boat and your going to go at the throttle like a monkey on crack, what say you open the engine compartment so you can see what your doing.

I am the first to admit that I don't open the engine compartment everytime on the 3300 (removing carpet, moving a seat, two coolers) but I do smell and run the blower for usually 10 minutes plus each time. The blower runs like an engine that you can feel over the engines running and I also smell around the area and where the blower vents to make sure there are no fumes.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Reason #456 to run blower and smell around. Curiously about 4 years ago the marina put in place a rule that only marina employees were allowed to operate the pumps. You can stand there and watch all you want but you don't touch the pumps. This was after a SOBER guy who had just bought a used (new to him and his first) boat.

After he pumped 28 gallons of premium into his fishing rod holder which went straight to the bilge, for some reason there was a new policy.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #11

Tackleshep, ROTFLMFAO!!!!!

Now on a more serious note (while I wipe the coffee of my monitor that I spewed afte reading that reply). I leave the battery switch on the house battery all the time. I prefer not to drain down the starting battery if I have problems. Plus, it forces me to go into the engine compartment to switch to starting before I start. While I'm there, I take a quick look at fluid levels, water, sniff, then start her up.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #12
Admiral

now ..that proves you can't fix stoopid!!!

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote

« AC freeze | Wd-40 »