Old 06-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Should I buy this?

Looking at a 2001 2100 SR2BR. They're asking $16,200 (down from $18k) seems a little steep to me. It's only listed on Facebook as far as I can tell. Obviously there are a lot of variables that go into it, but does that price seem too high? Thoughts?

Ontheboatagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:06 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

Seems optimistic to me at first glance... NADA shows $10,420.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/200...0116328/values

However, I priced this with base engine, no options, and no trailer, northern NJ region. Changing any of those can have a material impact. Condition also will play a major role - if it's pristine it could command a premium.

Also factor in actual inflation and COVID-driven market tightening, which I'm not sure the NADA values have caught up with. Boats were very tight last year during peak COVID. As things open back up many folks expect a glut of used boats as first time buyers ask "what am I doing with this thing" and get back out of boating. Counter-balance that with actual dollar inflation and I don't know what happens. Not entirely helpful lol but you did ask for thoughts! Good luck in your decision.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:10 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks! Just hear back from the seller.... she answered a few of my questions.

It's safely holds 9 people. It has been a great boat. We have not had any major problems with it. A couple of weird things...The ladder does not fold in only will fold up. It is usable and could be fixed, we just used it as is. The stereo face-cannot read it. Channels/speaker/cd player all are good. The boat has around 1200 hrs.

Think 1200 hours is a lot? Seems like a lot!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9573717680001/
Ontheboatagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:23 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

I often wonder how many hours a well maintained mercruiser will go. Suppose like all things it depends on usage ... salt (assuming open cooling) vs. lake, going balls-out all the time vs. cruising, striking things with the prop, on and off it pulling skiers all the time vs. not, etc.

Here's a reference point - 2 years ago I bought a 1998 Crownline 202 BR with a fuel injected 5.7 / alpha 1, no trailer, absolutely pristine condition. Topside and interior are like new. I knew the boat well as it had been slipped 2 over from me for years ... it was owned by an older guy whose son would come take his family out on it on rare occasions. Boat had just over 600 hours on it. Needed a new mooring cover, but everything else was there and worked (stereo, stainless docking lights, Corsa switchable through hulls coming through the sides). Paid a bit over $9k for it (edit: 9k included tax, title/registration, and detail) through a dealer on consignment. If this Maxum is on a trailer I'm thinking 12-14k assuming nice condition, but that's just me.

BTW a nice DIN radio replacement (Fusion MS RA70) is $250.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:18 PM   #5

A 2001 2100 with 1,200 hours for $16,200 is very expensive. However the market is artificially high right now. It's a sellers market, there is no inventory and sellers are getting their price. That doesn't mean that you have to pay for it.

IMHO 1500 - 2000 hrs is about the top end of the duty cycle for a marine (gas) engine. It's common for saltwater engines (even with closed (freshwater) cooling to common require repower at 500 - 1000 hrs. Not all, but certainly MANY.

I know if only 3 Mercruiser 454's in saltwater, which are freshwater cooled that have reached 1500hrs. You'll find a few folks pipe in to report goo numbers, but they are certainly not the rule.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:06 PM   #6
Admiral

This is NOT the time to be buying a depreciating asset of any kind!!!!
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:52 PM   #7
Lieutenant

"It's safely holds 9 people.".........

I don't want to needlessly burst your bubble, but I own a 2008 2900 SE (29 feet, 10") in size and I would not be able to fit 9 people in it comfortably in the cockpit area. I could probably fit 10 - 12 people in it if I sent 4 or more down into the cabin, but most people do not want to hang out below on a nice sunny day for boating.

Buyer beware....
Patrick Bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #8

9 seats are to give people options. It's not a dining room table. Just because there are 9 seats doesn't mean they all should be filled at the same time. 9 people on a 21 foot bow rider is going to look like a refugee boat, feel like a cattle car and handle like a gas powered dock.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:11 PM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bodkin View Post
"It's safely holds 9 people.".........

I don't want to needlessly burst your bubble, but I own a 2008 2900 SE (29 feet, 10") in size and I would not be able to fit 9 people in it comfortably in the cockpit area. I could probably fit 10 - 12 people in it if I sent 4 or more down into the cabin, but most people do not want to hang out below on a nice sunny day for boating.

Buyer beware....

You are comparing apples to oranges.... A bow rider typically has more open room than a cruiser.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #10
Lieutenant

I agree with Shrew. 9 people, even on a 21-foot bow rider, seems like too large an entourage to consider safely having onboard. The owner needs to make sure they have a BoatUS insurance policy and reasonable access to emergency service providers.

Just my humble opinion.
Patrick Bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:13 PM   #11
Lt. JG

I bought my 2002, 2300SR w/trailer last October for thirteen three. Good condition.
Sixteen is too high unless it is in pristine condition with low hours. Just my two cents.

Sword is offline   Reply With Quote