Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Shore Power vs. Battery Issues

Hi there
I've got a 1999 2300sc and my fresh water will only run on shore power, I've got a feeling that this wasn't standard but might be something to look at (annoyingly the TV only works on shore power as well)

carn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #2

Shorepower = 120 VAC

Battery = 12 VDC

Pressure Water Pump is 12vdc only. I've never seen a 120VAC pressure water pump. I assume the battery switch is turned to ON?

TV's are typically 120 VAC. If you happen to have a 12v TV, or the TV is plugged into an inverter then it will work off of the battery. Otherwise it would need 120 VAC (shorepower or generator).

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
Admiral

Your water pump should be 12volts. Meaning it runs off your battery. So one scenario is that if it is run off the house battery that is almost shot and that only when it is being charged by the shorepower being on the pump works. By no means should this pump be wired for 110. Get a electrican to look at this if this is the case.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #4

I agree Roger. A Weak battery would be passing the voltage from the battery charger to the entire 12V system. If a pressure pump can't cycle on, a starter definitely won't. Does the pressure pump not work on either or BOTH batteries?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
Ensign

I'm at the boat at the weekend, I'll take a look them, don't think it's the batteries as I replaced both of them about 2 months ago. The Water tap is not something we've actually used in anger yet, just noticed over the weekend that it didn't pump water while we were out, switch didn't illuminate either but it worked the week before on shore
Old 06-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by carn View Post
I'm at the boat at the weekend, I'll take a look them, don't think it's the batteries as I replaced both of them about 2 months ago. The Water tap is not something we've actually used in anger yet, just noticed over the weekend that it didn't pump water while we were out, switch didn't illuminate either but it worked the week before on shore
When it worked were you also connected by hose to shore water? In this configuration the on board pump is bypassed and water is supplied directly from the hose. Since you said the switch did not light I am assuming this is the case and you need to check the fuse.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
Ensign

No, I was in the boat yard, just plugged into power not water, works fine when plugged in, lights up etc unplugged, nothing, I'll check the batteries when I get there, one might be a bit dodgy, had a good tune saturday and Sunday though and they are new, would have thought they'd be fine
Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
No, I was in the boat yard, just plugged into power not water, works fine when plugged in, lights up etc unplugged, nothing, I'll check the batteries when I get there, one might be a bit dodgy, had a good tune saturday and Sunday though and they are new, would have thought they'd be fine
When plugged in was the battery charger on? This would be the only way to get 12VDC while on 110VAC.

Mike
Old 06-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #9
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
When plugged in was the battery charger on? This would be the only way to get 12VDC while on 110VAC.

Battery charger?? Have I got one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 11:18 PM   #10
Admiral

Carn......you need a friend that is in the know mechanically and electrically to help you out. Explain the differences to you between 12v and shorepower and etc etc etc!

Good luck

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:52 PM   #11
Admiral

Quote:

Well if you don't you probably have an inverter.

As Roger said seek help from someone with marine electrical system knowledge or if you are a quick study get a marine electrical system book.

Google marine electrical systems are read.

Mike
Old 06-21-2017, 12:13 AM   #12
Lt. Commander

Smile

. All I can do is smile.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #13

Quote:

You should have a breaker for a battery charger on the AC panel, if one were installed. For 12V to work the battery switch needs to be turned on. For freshwater to run at any faucet, the pressure water pump switch must also be turned on.

If you can't find a friend, than start taking pics of things and looking around and uploading them. We should be able to help.

Boats are a bit more complex than houses as they have raw water as well as freshwater (pressure) and 12V as well as 120 V. Once you learn a bit about each of the systems, what they are used for and how they work, it will make more sense.

Just give it time, they all break eventually. That's how we all learned.