Old 08-23-2019, 02:41 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Seaworthiness Of A 1700sc?

I'm pretty new to boating, in fact I haven't got my license yet, but rest assured I won't actually buy a boat until next year at the earliest. It's strictly research at this point

My and my girlfriend live in Vancouver, British Columbia, going on 3 years now. We both love the idea of exploring the multitude of islands in the Strait of Georgia, hence the talk of buying a boat. Been doing mounds of research on the subject over the past few weeks, and we'll be getting some proper lessons before we take the plunge.

In browsing the various boat classifieds, I came across a 1998 Maxum 1700 Sport Cuddy for $7500 CAD. It's already been purchased, but here's Google's cache of the page: https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=ca

I'm drawn to this design for a few reasons, not the least of which is the outboard engine. I like that there's no bellows to worry about, that the engine can be swung out of the water when not in use, the general accessibility of it, etc. We could purchase a boat like this pretty easily, and insure it for dirt cheap. There's plenty to like for us first-timers.

My stumbling block right now is wondering if it's not enough boat for what I have in mind. The idea was to be able to weave around the various gulf islands, maybe as far south as Seattle, and even traverse the strait from Vancouver to Victoria if we wanted to. As far as speed and range go, I think the 1700 can do it. But I hear the strait can be dangerous if the weather turns bad, and I need to know I'm not risking our lives unnecessarily if I short-list this model for eventual purchase.

How does it do in draining water? Is it too low to cope with the waves? I'm a gear junkie, so whatever boat I wind up with is going to have a life raft and any other piece of safety equipment I can think of, but I'd prefer to have that stuff and not need it if you get my drift.

Thanks!

Mutinous_Scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:56 PM   #2

That is a bowrider and it is not self-bailing. Could you do it on a pristine day? Sure. Is it advisable? No.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:59 PM   #3
Captain

I agree with shrew, the 1700 is a lake boat. 1.5 foot wave height is considered a calm sea state, but would be a challenge for a 17 foot boat.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote