Old 10-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Seawater leak, but from where?

I heeded Shrew's advice to start a new topic. Floorboards and carpet are soaked with saltwater every few days. I shopvac the carpet, and suck out all the water I can in the hatch under the cabin table 'till dry, but it reappears every few days. By process of elimination, here are things it's not imho; head seawater line, a/c seawater line, choppy conditions throwing waves into the deck/hull seam or anchor locker, seacocks, hull mounted transducers (depth & fish) because they're both under the aft bilge and there's no leak there. Thanks for all ideas anyone can offer, and SP and Shrew for your insight as well. Here are a few pics taken;

Old 10-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #2

Default Re: Seawater leak, but from where?

If it is freshwater, I would suspect anywhere that rainwater can get in. e.g. hatch's, portholes/portlights, rubrail, handrail stanchions, etc. Anywhere where there are holes in the deck and hull that have been drilled, screwed and caulked. the volume of water you're describing does not sound like rainwater, unless you're gettin flood stage level rains on a consistant basis. Even then I would not expect Gallons and not so consistanly.

If it is saltwater, then spray from a choppy ride would still not generate gallons of water unless you were running it in choppy water every day for hours and hours and hours. Even then I wouldn't expect the volume of water you're describing.

So, saltwater in this volume will most likely be coming from down below. Obviously seacocks would be an obvious first choice. Again, based on the volume of water and frequency I would think that you would see the water coming in. Here are some thoughts:

1) Have you visually monitored the head seacock while flushing? Have someone flush and follow the path from the head seacock all the way to the head, then back to the holding tank.

2) Do the same while running the AC. Following from the seacock, to the raw water strainer, up the AC and out the ac discharge.

If non of that is the culprit, I'd be taking a hard look at the bellows and transom assemebly. In all honesty, I'd strongly consider haulingthe boat. Unless I misunderstood, 15 gal. every few days is A LOT of water, particularly in the Fwd bilge These things don't typically get 'better' with time.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

I don't think it's either the seacocks nor lines for the head or a/c. The aft bilge level isn't rising at all and I don't see any leaking from the seacocks, and I pulled the fridge and inspected all around for leaks from the lines; all was dry in there.

I spent 1/2 hour talking with Ken from US Boats (Brunswick) yesterday and we both went over all possibilities and applicable known issues. SP's recommendation of sealing deck to hull seam was one common spot, and the forward mooring ring was another usual culprit, but both dismissed because of occurrence still while docked, and no water in front compartment where mooring eye is bolted. He ran out of ideas lol, and asked that I report back to him when we have it hauled for winter soon, and look for water flow when it's up on straps.

It could just be that we have a small nail hole or something through the hull. During hauling in Sept for a new outdrive, I inspected the bottom and it looked solid all around.

p.s. I asked about continued tech support regarding the Maxum line and asked whether the Maxum phone lines would be turned off at some point lol, but he said while the discontinuance of the Maxum line was a disappointment for most everyone, he assured me that they would continue to support the technical inquiries.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
Admiral

well..not knowing what water your getting ..ie fresh or salt....and also where your talking about in the aft step and carpet....then I've got to ask if your using your shower in the head....??..if the water in that area is fresh...and your using your shower..there is a seam between the bulkhead and the deck pan that needs to be really sealed well....that's the only thing I can think in that are that could cause water to get into the carpets there....

SP :hello:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Floorboards and carpet are soaked with saltwater every few days.
So....................aside from checking specific gravity, there's really only one other way to verify that, and an a verse from an old sea shanty comes to mind.

Q: "What do you do with a drunken Sailor?"

A: "Put him in the bilge and make him drink it."

YUCK!!!
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
well..not knowing what water your getting ..ie fresh or salt....and also where your talking about in the aft step and carpet....then I've got to ask if your using your shower in the head....??..if the water in that area is fresh...and your using your shower..there is a seam between the bulkhead and the deck pan that needs to be really sealed well....that's the only thing I can think in that are that could cause water to get into the carpets there....

SP :hello:
It's seawater SP, all in the carpet and under the floorboard in the galley area. The saltwater is not creeping up (nor coming down from) any carpet covering bulkhead. No head shower use at all. Where is the seam that you're mentioning between the bulkhead and deck pan? Thanks, Tom.