Old 10-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default season over :(

well our first season with the '98 2800 scr is over. I swear it was the fastest summer ever. Family had a great time and we just absolutely love the boat!
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help this forum provided us. I helped me in making the decision on the boat and assistance with some projects and questions.
can't wait till spring already!
Thanks again.
BB>

Baby Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
Admiral

BB glad your summer was great and glad your 2800 did you well. Any more questions.... bring them on. The people here love to help boaters out!

Our summer was too short for us from bad weather weekends to other commitments with grandchildren and weddings.

As you are , I am looking forward to the next season. We are going back to our old marina where we had a slip and jet ski lift the year before.

I just got done shrink wrapping our jet ski today so all the toys have been put away.....bring on winter!

Good luck

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:40 AM   #3
Admiral

BB do not be so Blue, you know what they say time goes by fast when you are having fun.

Glad all enjoyed the season. We are here to help.

I will be doing the same this weekend.

Bring on winter! Roger what the $&@;!? is wrong with you

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:11 AM   #4
Admiral

A lot....:-)
Old 10-28-2014, 01:56 AM   #5
Captain

I feel for you "seasonal" boaters......
Old 10-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post

Bring on winter! Roger what the $&@;!? is wrong with you
I'm with Roger. Fall and Spring are inconvenient seasons for chores. Now that the boat is hauled and winterization is complete, I have nothing but yard work to do and house projects to catch up on. However fall is the harbinger of winter, which means all my other winter activities. Right now I can't boat and I can't ski. Since it won't be getting warmer......bring on the SNOW!!
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
Admiral

Yeah Shrew that's the ticket!........ My yard is like a leaf processing plant that is stuck on high. Get it over please ......I am running out of leaf bags.
With snow on the ground at least I know that spring is next and then that brings a new boating season. Yeah !!!!!

The endless cycle continues.....

Roger
Old 10-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
Admiral

You want snow then take mine as well :-)--

Heck you can have my leaves as well.

Mike
Old 10-29-2014, 04:36 AM   #9
Lt. JG

What does season over mean?

I kid! Look at the bright side, having a chance to miss it makes it that much sweeter when the new season rolls around!
SoCalMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

biggerseager,
omg.. I also have a leaf processing plant. 2-3 times a week to keep up with it with a rider mower and twin bagger. I love our big yard and all the old grown trees but it's a battle in the fall. at least we don't have to bag them as the city has a machine and sucks them up from the front yard.
is it May yet?
Baby Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
Admiral

BB you are lucky that the city takes them...........there are a couple of small towns that do that in our area but not the town I live in. I have to bag them and cart them off to a leaf land fill.

So Cal.... I think I probably couldn't afford to boat year around so it is a win-win. I know I also enjoy different season, some not as much as others, but enjoy the fact the seasons do change.

Enjoy your season!

Roger
Old 10-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
Lieutenant

Living in California with relatively no change in seasons has its drawbacks. I can't tell you how many times I said "we can get to that next weekend" or "next month". And before you know it, it's been a year, or even two, since you said you were going to do something.

Having the four seasons has forced me to enjoy the seasons for what they are. Moving back to KY this year I enjoyed the summer as much as I could (without being able to go to the lake every weekend) with various warm weather events and trips. And now that fall is here all the visitors from out of town are coming in for the various fall events: Keeneland Fall Sales and the Fall Meet, changing of the leaves, and of course my favorite, a trip down the bourbon trail visiting all the distilleries. Winter will bring the inside the house projects and before you know it spring will be here and I'll be working on getting a new engine installed and back on the water in the summer. Hard to believe I've already got everything planned between now and summer.
scoutonwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
Lt. JG

Time does fly here that's for sure, is that a drawback? Not too sure but I personally am too high strung to have it any other way.
SoCalMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutonwater View Post
.....before you know it spring will be here and I'll be working on getting a new engine installed and back on the water in the summer.
Start now. At least get the old one removed, then you can pressure wash and clean the engine compartment and get it sanded and painted (Of course you're going to repaint the engine compartment, now is the only chance you'll get). Now is a great time to do the shift and throttle cables, along with the drive shifter cable. During my last repower, I had the best of intentions and still didn't launch until after July 4th.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Start now. At least get the old one removed, then you can pressure wash and clean the engine compartment and get it sanded and painted (Of course you're going to repaint the engine compartment, now is the only chance you'll get). Now is a great time to do the shift and throttle cables, along with the drive shifter cable. During my last repower, I had the best of intentions and still didn't launch until after July 4th.
+1 but I know you had some budget issues, however as shrew suggests you can get the old one removed if you are doing it but if paying mechanic probably not cost effective to split the job up.

Mike
Old 11-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #16
Lieutenant

I like the idea of pulling all the old out and cleaning/replacing with the new while it's accessible and easy. However, I'll have to work those as the weather dictates. I was hoping fall would last a little longer and that I had a little time to do a few things, but from nice to into the teens within a week........that is ridiculous! I know there will be some nicer (everything is relative) weekends between now and next spring so I'll just have to muddle through as Mother Nature allows.

So here's my next big question for everyone that has seasons: What "winterizing" do I need to do without worrying about the engine? It was always kept in the garage in California, but I can't get it into the garage this winter here in Kentucky. Are there any other issues to worry about besides stabilizing the fuel tank? I see boats stored outside all the time in the winter. All the tips and pointers are appreciated.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #17
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutonwater View Post
I like the idea of pulling all the old out and cleaning/replacing with the new while it's accessible and easy. However, I'll have to work those as the weather dictates. I was hoping fall would last a little longer and that I had a little time to do a few things, but from nice to into the teens within a week........that is ridiculous! I know there will be some nicer (everything is relative) weekends between now and next spring so I'll just have to muddle through as Mother Nature allows.

So here's my next big question for everyone that has seasons: What "winterizing" do I need to do without worrying about the engine? It was always kept in the garage in California, but I can't get it into the garage this winter here in Kentucky. Are there any other issues to worry about besides stabilizing the fuel tank? I see boats stored outside all the time in the winter. All the tips and pointers are appreciated.
I do not recall what boat you have so from the hip winterize any fresh water system, pump out holding tank and winterize head, gas stabilizer, change gear lube (this is a good time to find out if you have worn seals that let water in), if you plan to reuse any engine parts that have water in them winterize the engine. Finally cover the boat to protect it from snow and ice with the bow high to allow for draining.

Mike
Old 11-25-2014, 01:07 AM   #18
Lieutenant

Mike, it's an 1800sr so no freshwater system. The block has a huge crack in the valley so it's toast. The gear oil was changed in spring and only had one outing with it. Sta-bil is in the fuel tank. Got the front cranked high enough. Cover with the moisture attracting stuff in the center floor. Cover on it and a tarp over top of the cover. And the security camera aimed on it. If the weather ever gives me a weekend of decent weather, I'll undo the back half and try and get done what I can each time. An increase in pay would go a long way to having someone else do the grunt work as well as the engine re-power. Oh well, I guess I'll just appreciate it that much more when it's back on the water.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:18 AM   #19
Captain

An increase in pay would help any of us. The more things you can unbolt and remove, the easier it is to get the engine out.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:32 AM   #20
Admiral

If you plan to reuse the exhaust drain it so it does not crack, however if it close to 500 hours or more I would replace it with the engine

Mike