Old 08-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
Commander

Default SeaPuppy - Your Thoughts on the Announcement?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the subject of the closure of the Maxum brand. You've been a Maxum boat owner and involved directly with the company in evaluating their products.

Funny how you're in a BL now!

Of course this is fresh news, but expanding the board to include Bayliner's and Sea Ray's could really get this place jumping.

racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Default Re: SeaPuppy - Your Thoughts on the Announcement?

It actually made me think twice about my upcoming purchase when I read about it yesterday but like someone pointed out on another post, if all that is proprietary is the hull, then we should be good to go.

Also on your question of other boats, why not? I'm sure it would get more traffic. That said, you'd probably have to change the name. I took the liberty of checking some names and something like boatownersclub.org is available to register. With a name like that you could personalize the forums to any boat. Example, maxum.boatownersclub.org, bayliner.boatownersclub.org.

Regardless, thanks for the resource.

Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru
It actually made me think twice about my upcoming purchase when I read about it yesterday but like someone pointed out on another post, if all that is proprietary is the hull, then we should be good to go.

Also on your question of other boats, why not? I'm sure it would get more traffic. That said, you'd probably have to change the name. I took the liberty of checking some names and something like boatownersclub.org is available to register. With a name like that you could personalize the forums to any boat. Example, maxum.boatownersclub.org, bayliner.boatownersclub.org.

Regardless, thanks for the resource.
Yeah, I believe the proprietary aspect of boats are the hull design. Everything else really just bolts into it and are made by third party suppliers. Taking my boat as an example, the hull (Maxum), engine (Mercruiser) are both under the same parent company. Everything else, windshield, seats, stereo, carpet, cleats, lights, gauges, steering wheel, locker latches and ladder are third party. Do a search on the NADA website for boat prices and there are literally hundred of boat makes. Anyone with a mold and a telephone/PC to order supplier parts can by a boat building company.

I read that recent Maxums were coming off of the Bayliner assembly line, but I have done side by side comparisons of my boat with bayliners of the same year and the chines are different, so I assume there were different lines at one time.

I am hoping SeaPuppy may shed some light or give his opinion on if he thinks this was a smart decision in closing the name altogether instead of juggling products around such as focusing Bayliner on runabouts and Maxum and Sea Ray on Sport Cruiser/Cruiser line and leaving Sealine for Yachts. I see quite a few Maxums around so it's not like it is (was) and unknown make. I can understand capitalizing on the Bayliner name (although it carries an unfair reputation as subpar boat by owners of other makes).

I spoke at length to a Glastron salesman at a local boat show a few years ago who explained that Glastron is a small builder who focuses on quality boats from the hull to the cupholders and that they only made runabouts so that they didn't over extend and lose their focus on quality. I looked over his showroom boat and I admit, it was very nice and every aspect had a quality that exceeded my Maxum, but of course it was much more than mine also. I see they go up to 28' now. Nice boats.
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
Admiral

well....I think there are 2 parts to this question for me....
I've been a bayliner/maxum fan for about 10 yrs...owning my second bay...and really loving the maxum 2700 scr...I think that the closing of maxum was inevitable.....the first part is maxum has been likened to a bayliner with lipstick....same running gear and all..just a bit nicer material and stuff made up the maxum compared to the bay's...with that said...now bayliners are using the same switches and dashes as the maxums....my new 340 has all the same stuff as the maxum did...switches are rocker and not toggle but they are just as nice....things like that...materials are nicer and basically they are stepping up the quality of a bayliner to the maxum levels...
second part is that with the markets the way they are today...maxum was the logical line to stop....meaning that bayliners are entry level and very popular boats....just about anyone can purchase one and have fun on the water....maxums are a bit pricier and usually for people that want to move up...but the bayliners are about the same size as the maxums and performance is about the same....with that being said...Searays and other lines are much more in a different demographic and appeal to a different clientelle....maxums compete directly with the bayliners and thus again is the logical brand to stop manufacturing......especially since they were being produced on the same line!....
does it sadden me to see the brand stop??..of course...after visiting the plant..driving thier boats...making comments about what I would change....I feel a connection to them....I didn't design any of them but I sure had some input into what a boat should look like .....am I saddened for the people that are being laid off??..definitely....it's not good to have skilled people hit the streets......

those are my thoughts........

SP :|
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Out of curiosity, do you think the announcement will affect the Maxum's resale value?
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Admiral

at first I think it might be a bit detrimental to the brand...but then they will start to hold value....

SP irate:
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 08-18-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
Lt. JG

Wow, I log on to the site today and find out Maxum is ceasing production. When I looked for a 18 foot sport boat three years ago I really liked the Maxum. It was much less than the four winns and sea rays and I totally preferred it over the jet boats I was looking at. For a lot more you can get a bigger brand name, but not necessarily that much of a nicer boat. I have really enjoyed this boat so its sad to see it go. I fully understand business is tough and consolidating brands can save money (ie GM)

I hope this site continues as I have quietly received some great advice.
swilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:18 AM   #8
Admiral

of course we are going to keep this site going .....it's about boating...maxums....and um...boating!! :P

spirate:
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 08-18-2009, 06:18 AM   #9
Lieutenant

Wow, that is too bad!!! Just this weekend we were plotting for an upgrade and would definitely considered Maxum... I guess we will puruse the BL website...
Old 08-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #10

I'm a bit curious on the Bayliner/Maxum comparisons. The wife and I are contemplating moving to a new boat mostly due to the incredible deals out there on left-over 07 & 08 models. It's hard to pass up a NEW boat, particularly when we 've been struggling with Used Boat Blues for some time now.

As a kid I greww up on Bayliners. Obviously I own a Maxum now. I've always wondered why the price difference between a Bayliner, Maxum and Searay when all three are manufactured by the same company. Take relatively the same sized model from Maxum and Bayliner.

for Example:

2008 Maxum 2900 SE: MSRP: $131,022.00
2008 Bayliner 300: MSRP: $107,232.00

The overall specs are basically the same in regards to length and width. The layout is almost identical. Even the same Engine/Outdrive package. The only thing that I notice is the Maxum is about 1,000 lbs heavier. So why is the Maxum almost 25K more?? Is the fiberglass layup different? Would the Maxum feel more solid than the Bayliner? I'd be very, very interested in pursuing some of the deals on 07 and 08 Bayliners, If I knew I was gettting the exact same boat as I have in a Maxum.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
Admiral

alot of it is hyp and alot is materials....say the cabinets on the interior are the same layout...but the materials are nice wood and cabinates show a bit more detail...whereas bayliner uses monkey fur in the overheads and some side bulkheads....maxum will use vinyl and a bit more insulation....over all they are mostly built on the same lines...so maxum uses some of the same molds and all...

when i went to SC last yr...we got to tour the factory...it was amazing to see the molds being formed and fiberglass being sprayed on....same molds for hull is not used between the bay's and the maxum...maxums have distinct side chine vents that bayliners don't.....but overall they are built side by side......

they are both the overall same inside but again..materials are different ...that's about it...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 08-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #12

Seapuppy, you've gone back and forth between the two and have a good deal more insight than most of us. I've heard many say quality is not the same. I even had one person tell me that the last Bayliner he rode on he could feel every wave vibrating through the hull. If we're talking the same manufacturing specs, then I would think there would be no difference in the ride. Since you recently went from a Maxum to Bayliner, I would think that you would have noticed things like this. I'm not expecting these boats to handle like a Fountain or a Bertram.

From what i could tell the materials for cabinets, hardware, etc is exactly the same on both boats. If power is the same and hulls are the same, I'm not that concerned with the vinyl vs. cloth liners, and other little differences. This sounds like going from a 97 Maxum 2800 SCR to a 07 leftover Bayliner 305 might not be a bad move after all. Obviously you did it and you're not complaining.

Here is what I was looking at (both are brand new/leftovers):

07 Maxum 3100: $86,000 WITH TRADE
07 Bayliner 305: $86,000 WIHTOUT TRADE

These are almost identical boats. Obviously I could get a much better value with a trade on the Bayliner. fOf course the wife likes the layout of the Maxum because it is the model with the double settee option. we entertain frequently, but rarely have overnight guests.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
Admiral

Shrew....
no..I'm not complaining about either boat....I think bayliner has more bang for the buck than a maxum or SR....but...there are small items that I find different....albiet in the newer larger bayliner..all the hull penetrations are either stainless steel or bronze...the portlights are stainless.....fit and finish is a bit less than a maxum but so far nothing to really get bent out over....hull thickness is identical to maxums....so...no..I really don't have any complaints over what the maxum has compared to the bay.....the bay is certainly built to take 6-8 ftrs as we did on our trip to Nanaimo BC....Bayliner started using the same gear and stuff that maxum did..ie cleats and interior stuff....the big notice I see was the bow railing was not welded but pieced together....
I'll be honest with you....I liked SR when we were looking at them...we looked at Regal's....and a bunch of others in this size and price range...they all rode about the same....handled about the same....had almost the same pwr and performance although some were used up and would take the price of the boat to get it into decent condition again....but....the bayliner 340 has more usable room than any of the others did......
plus we were able to buy it new with a warranty.....that alone is worth what we paid for......
one of my boat bud's has a 40 ft SR....gorgeous boat...diesels....direct drives...etc...loaded....but..he's only able to do about 19 kts cruising...max is about 24 kts...ride is nice...but put 3 people inside and he's knocking elbows.....we had 9 people on board...cruised at 28mph....top speed is 50mph....and we can all walk around the boat and not get into each others space.....same yr as mine...2008....but he's had to have several big ticket items repaired and it took them almost a yr to get it all done....my warranty work was done almost within 3 weeks total time.....

so...apples to apples...I'd say getting a big bayliner right now is one of the smartest things we've ever done....

SP :mrgreen:

PS...I went to the Maxum boat site and saw the 3100....I test drove that boat and let me tell you...it was awesome....although the fwd berth isn't what we want...the boat's performance and comfort was really great.....I liked the dash and even had some input on the design up here in Arlington Wa....before they closed....anyway....that boat has it all and I'd tell you ...seriously...that's an awesome boat to get.......the electronic throttles were spot on..the zeus drives were easy to dock and maneuver.......jsut my opinion...
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 08-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #14

Thanks SP (et al). I don't want to turn this into a 'which is better'. That is not my intention. (As it is I already hijacked the thread). Of course we LOVE our Maxum and would definitely get another. I know my parents have said again and again, that they bought Bayliner's for many of the same reasons you listed. When push came to shove, Bayliner managed to maximize usable space and storage better than any of the other boats in the same size class, and the "bang for the buck" value just couldn't be argued with. One buddy has said "Think about trade-in value". My thought was, I would have to dump the money into the boat and let it sit for 10 yrs before I could get it back. I may not get the same trade-in value, but since I didn't pay in to begin with, I'm not really loosing anything on the trade. Besides that's 15+ yrs out if we decide to buy NEW.

thanks for the advice.