Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-13-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
Ensign

Default rip out air conditioning?

Hey, love this boat (01 Maxum 2900). Just finished our first big cruise (6 days in the Northern Gulf Islands of BC, mostly). Things went pretty well overall. Really appreciate how the cruising marinas are MUCH easier to navigate than my home marina.

One problem, however: water tank capacity. We basically ran out on day 5. The tank was full on day one with 25 gallons. I took one shower on the transom after a swim, but my wife uses a fair bit for her 'skin care routine' (she showered on shore) and I washed dishes about once a day. The islands we cruise to have zero water available to top-up. I have concluded I need more capacity!

Now the boat came with this stupid optional thing called water-cooled air conditioning. If you've even been in the PacNW in summer, you'd realize how unnecessary it is. This is located under the V berth - a perfect spot for an additional water tank!

Should I leave the silly A/C in the boat for future resale considerations, or just rip it out, sell it on eBay and glass in another 25 gal tank for water? reasons?

thanks for your valued opinions!
cheers

sross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
Admiral

I probably wouldn't take the ac out since in the winter it doubles as a heater....if you could find another place for water...I'd do that...but you seem to have a small water tank....I have a 30 gal. tank...and it will last us about 4 days...we wash dishes....clean up...etc...but I generally don't shower on the boat..we use shore facilities........I'm not a big guy but that head is barely big enough to go pee in....one day when I grow up I'd like to have a seperate shower.....but I'd look at maybe sticking in a larger tank and placing the san tank on the bottom in the engine bay..or getting one of those long flat ones and setting in the void area in the swim stem...just an idea.....

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Well if you are going to remove it and sell - Let me know
alrightythen@iboatnw.com
3388sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:13 AM   #4
Ensign

just re checked the spec - it is 30 gals water tank, 16 gals holding.

As for heat: The listing said 'cool only,' and all I get is cold air from it. The broker suggested it may also provide heat (it is a heat exchanger), but I can't seem to make that work. Would be great if it did give out heat - but I can pop in a simple electric marine heater easily enough for winter cruising.

The bathroom: is large enough that we prefer using it over the rustic marina bathrooms. Maybe change to drinking only rum and gin instead of beer! Still haven't tried showering in it, but I can stand up alright and I am 6' 4inches.

Next year we plan to head up to Desolation Sound with several days on the hook, so keeping the water supply up is a priority. Hoping to put off the Meridian shopping for a half decade - hehe.
sross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:11 AM   #5
Admiral

SRoss...
I know the feeling about going to desolation sound...we're going to try and make a flotilla of boats (hopefully) to go up there....
if you have one of those ARRR heat systems..then it's probably a reverse cycle heating system..which means that like mine...it would cool but didn't want to heat worth a darn..turned out it was a wire that wasn't connected.....have a tech come out and check it out....it just may need that wire connected....
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote