Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-05-2014, 02:38 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Repairing Trim Tab leak

OK so Tom (Tabman) from Bennett Marine was kind enough to send me a replacement upper hinge and brass fitting to fix my trim tab leak. I'd like to do that but I want to be crystal clear on what is required.

The hydraulic line is black nylon, and passes through the transom to the cylinder. I can't see the brass connection from either side so it must be hidden in the hole through the transom. Once I remove the black upper hinge from the transom (3 screws), I'm sure I'll see it.

Here's what I'm not sure of:

Will I have to dig out sealant in the hole through the transom? Or will the hydraulic line and connector just slide through?

How do I remove the old brass fitting from the nylon line and replace it with the new one? Is it some sort of compression fitting? So maybe I just unscrew the old fitting and the line just slips free? I can't tell.

Once I've connected up everything, how to I seal it properly so I don't end up at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean? 4200? 5200?

Help!

Old 04-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Admiral

The top of the cylinder should be above the water line so but should have either a gasket or sealant.

Don't know about the fitting can you tell by looking at the new one? I am sure Tabman will answer this.

If above the water line then 4200 f sealant is required, once again Tabman can better answer this.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
Ensign

You should be able to take the upper hinge off the transom without digging out the caulk, depending on what was used (i.e. 5200) it may take some work. Once it is off you can them dig out the old caulk to clean up the hole in preparation for resealing.

Hopefully you have enough extra tubing so you can cut the old compression fitting off and use the new one we sent you. Sometimes it helps to take the tubing off the pump so you can pull a bit out the hole in the transom to work on it.

Then insert tubing through the nut with ferrule. Push until it bottoms in the fitting. While continuing to bottom the tubing in the fitting, tighten
nut “finger tight,” then one full turn with a 1/2" wrench, no more, while holding the fitting with a 7/16" wrench to prevent it stripping in the upper hinge.

I like 5200 for sealing the actuator to the transom when attaching it.

I hope this helps,

Tom
Bennett Marine
Tabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

OK Thanks Tom, that all makes sense. Hopefully the old upper hinge will come off easily. It looks like it's been caulked around the edge, as though someone was trying to stop a leak. The other trim tab hinge has a very clean look, no exposed caulk or sealer.

One last thing: If I use 5200, will that make it harder to remove in the future? I assume I'm applying the sealer to the mating surface of the upper hinge, where it meets the transom.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:30 AM   #5
Ensign

Yes, 5200 will make it harder to remove in the future. You can use 4200 which is easier to take apart.

Tom
Bennett Marine
Tabman is offline   Reply With Quote