Old 04-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Commander

Default Renaming and Christening ceremony

In planning out the "Renaming and Christening" ceremony. I've got the ceremony done just planing out the Food and refreshments, I thought it would be cool to have some Grog. I found this and thought I'd share!

Enjoy!

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10197-grog

In its earliest incarnation, grog was merely a mixture of hot rum and water with an occasional sprinkling of spices. The 18th-century British admiral Edward Vernon, nicknamed Old Grog for the grogram fabric cloak he wore, attempted to prevent scurvy among his men by serving them a pint of rum a day. The dark navy rum had nothing to do with scurvy, but it did have a way of knocking the sailors on their duffle bags. Vernon then issued the infamous Captain’s Order Number 349, stating that all rum should be mixed with water, a dash of brown sugar, and lime to make it more palatable. In their displeasure, the sailors christened the weakened beverage after the admiral.

Grog has undergone many refinements over the years and is now served comfortingly warm or refreshingly cool. The original rum used in grog did not become available to the public until the 1980s. That it made its way to the liquor store shelves was more than coincidental or generous on the part of the manufacturer—the British navy phased out the daily ration of rum in the late 1970s. The rum is now sold under the label Pusser’s Navy Rum—pusser being slang for the purser who distributed it. The phrase grog blossoms is a reference to the broken blood vessels in the nose caused by drinking too much.

This recipe was featured as part of our Drinks Around the World story.

INGREDIENTS
•2 ounces dark rum
•1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
•1 teaspoon brown sugar
•4 ounces hot water
•Slice of orange and a cinnamon stick

INSTRUCTIONS
Mix the rum, lime juice, brown sugar, and hot water in a mug. Garnish with an orange slice and a cinnamon stick.

Todd

9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Admiral

cheers!

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Cheers, Todd! Great way to start the season.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote