New member here. Iíve owned numerous Bayliners and Maxums in the past and Iím currently in the process of recommissioning by girlfriends dads Maxum 1750mx, which he has owned since new but has been stood for 3 years on its trailer outside and unused.
I thought Iíd post up some pictures and descriptions of the work Iíve done/doing, in case it might help others with similar problems, and Iíll no doubt run into some issues that Iíll need help with.
Iíve always done the work on the boats Iíve owned myself. Mainly because Iím not rich so I canít afford to pay anyone, and the few times Iíve trusted boat mechanics to do things for me itís not seem to go well. I wouldnít say I enjoy working on them, but I have got better at it over the years. Iíve also slowly accumulate various tools that makes working on them a bit easier. I now know my way round a 3.0 mercrusier and Alpha one outdrive fairly well.
On this particular boat, itís been well looked after over the years, serviced annually and winterised each year. So fundamentally itís all good. It does have a lot of the age related issues that these boats have though.
The list when started on this last week was:
Engine wouldnít run. Itíd start but only on half throttle and die as soon as throttle was backed off.
Trailer needs various bits and pieces (roller washers and bowroller post etc..)
Blower ducting failed
Most dash gauges donít work
The first job was to sort the engine issues. A quick compression check confirmed that the engine was in good health internally, so the next obvious place to look was the carburettor. I managed to get a gasket kit (which cost £50!!) from the local boat supply shop and took the carb off the manifold and stripped it down. Immediately the problem was obvious. Classic case of evaporated fuel in the float bath had left behind some gunge that was blocking the jets.
Cleaned it out with carb cleaner, removed the jets and cleaned those, reassembled, and the engine ran like a swiss watch. Job done.
I then had a mess with the gauges and manged to get the engine temp and oil pressure working. The two most important I think. The speedo also works, but the trim gauge and rev counter don't. Iíll have to look at those when I get time.
Decided at this point to dunk it in the water and go for a blast to see what else needed attention.
The steering is really stiff, it works, but the cable needs removing and oil forcing through it to clean the corrosion out. Iíve never removed a steering cable before but it doesnít look too hard. Itís my next job.
Unfortunately, I then noticed another, more serious problem. Drive lube in the bilge. A lot of it.
I think the input shaft seal, yoke seal, and possible some other seals in the alpha one outdrive are shot. Not surprising as they are probably original, so 14 years is good going really!
Now this job I donít fancy doing. Iíve done it before on my old 1800mx and wit took me three days in a garage, where I had air tools and an engine crane. I swore, a lot. Doing it at the side of the boat in a field isnít going to happen.
Iíve asked for a quote from the local boat repair place and Iím waiting to hear back. The issue is also time, with it being peak season, they are backed up for weeks. It might mean I donít get it out again the summer.
A few pics of the boat, where it's been stood and in the water last weekend, and the offending carb before cleaning.