Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-01-2021, 07:49 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Rear ended on the freeway!

So on the way to the lake last Saturday I was rear ended. The guy didn't have insurance so I will only get what mine covers. My question for the forum is, fix it or salvage it? I know you can only see so much in photos, but your opinion would help me.

1997 Maxum 1900 SR2
Mercruiser MCM 4.3 LX Gen+
Stern drive Alpha1 Gen II

The real question is, what is the likelihood of unseen damage? I can price out a new upper and lower unit. The front tie down eyelet is pulled to the side and wiggles a bit now. Is this a red flag? I can't see other fiberglass breakage, so the concern would be higher up in the engine or something I'm not thinking of.

The impact was hard enough to break the tie down strap, shove the boat forward on the trailer, and then bend the trailer neck enough so the front of the boat hit my car.
See photos and let me know what you think.

superbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:16 PM   #2
Admiral

Wow that much have been some impact to bend the trailer like that. I would be concerned about transom damage as well as the transom assembly. I would work with you insurance adjuster to have a complete inspection performed.

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:41 PM   #3
Lieutenant

How does a licensed driver with a State registered vehicle not have insurance? Hopefully he was led away from the scene in silver wrist bracelets. I'm not sure what State you live in, but that wouldn't fly where I live.

Good luck with everything.
Patrick Bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #4
Admiral

Time for a civil lawsuit...
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:35 PM   #5
Lieutenant

You should have called "The bus" and got transported to the Hospital with neck pain.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:54 AM   #6
LJG
Ensign

omgoodness...so sorry you had this happen to you! Good luck with your decision....whichever way you go...new to boating so can't offer advice
LJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:49 PM   #7
Ensign

Default Still waiting

Insurance is slow, even more so for boats it seems. Not as many adjusters know how to asses boats. I'm leaning toward replacing the trailer and keeping the boat. Need to find out how much insurance will pay in that case.
Hopefully they let me know this week.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbrown View Post
Insurance is slow, even more so for boats it seems. Not as many adjusters know how to asses boats. I'm leaning toward replacing the trailer and keeping the boat. Need to find out how much insurance will pay in that case.
Hopefully they let me know this week.
Keep us posted on how it goes. Did you price a new outdrive and propeller? I would take a good look at the gimbal ring and bell housing for cracks.

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:48 AM   #9
Captain

I would also take very close look at the transom inside and out.
It had to have flexed a lot.
Don
2012 South Bay Pontoon
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:39 AM   #10
Ensign

Just posting a bit of a follow up. Insurance gave us a check and the boat. The check should be enough to fix it as long as we do most of the work ourselves. If we can't we'll have to part it out and let it go.

The trim cylinder is the first thing to be replaced, it should arrive next week. Once that is on we can lower the unit and inspect the mechanics better. Hoping everything else looks OK. Time will tell. Thanks everyone!
Old 12-03-2021, 01:31 PM   #11
Captain

I hope it was a big check.
That boat took a large impact to bend that square tube that way.
Good Luck.
Don
2012 South Bay Pontoon
Old 12-06-2021, 01:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bodkin View Post
How does a licensed driver with a State registered vehicle not have insurance? Hopefully he was led away from the scene in silver wrist bracelets. I'm not sure what State you live in, but that wouldn't fly where I live.

Good luck with everything.
Not all states have mandatory liability insurance for motor vehicles. For example New Hampshire and Virginia don't require that you carry liability insurance.

In the case of New Hampshire, you have the option to 'self-insure'. However, if you cause damage for which you are liable and don't cover the damages, you will loose your license. Re-instatement of your license requires an SR-22
(Certificate of financial responsibility). This makes insurance mandatory and has the same insurance rate as getting a DWI.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:25 PM   #13

Quote:
You should have called "The bus" and got transported to the Hospital with neck pain.
Let's not encourage fraud. Frivolous lawsuits only serve to drive insurance premiums up for the rest of us. Not to mention, insurance fraud is illegal.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #14
Lieutenant

In my case, it is personal, and I would call "The bus". I was rear ended 6 years ago by a careless driver and thought I'd tough it out and went home and took some advil for the pain. Little did I know that I had damage to 5 different discs that werre found once I stopped trying to be a tough guy and and sought medical care a week later. I eventually had C-6/C-7 neck fusion surgery with a cadaver replacement disc for C-6. I'm also going to have to live with damage to several other discs that are too risky to address without risk for paralysis.

My advice to everyone is to have yourself thoroughly checked out when struck through no fault of your own.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:54 PM   #15
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
Time for a civil lawsuit...
+1 On that.
Don
2012 South Bay Pontoon
Old 12-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #16

Quote:
In my case, it is personal, and I would call "The bus". I was rear ended 6 years ago by a careless driver and thought I'd tough it out and went home and took some advil for the pain. Little did I know that I had damage to 5 different discs that werre found once I stopped trying to be a tough guy and and sought medical care a week later. I eventually had C-6/C-7 neck fusion surgery with a cadaver replacement disc for C-6. I'm also going to have to live with damage to several other discs that are too risky to address without risk for paralysis.

My advice to everyone is to have yourself thoroughly checked out when struck through no fault of your own.
I understand. Compression fractures on T6 and T8 from a motorcycle accident that has left me with chronic neck pain.

I appreciate you clarifying in a subsequent post. It does make a difference.

I do concur in encouraging anyone to seek medical attention for any head, neck or back injuries. They tend to be chronic in nature.

Ambulance is only necessary when time or ability/mobility are a factor in obtaining medical assistance. An Ambulance isn't required to establish liability of the other party.

Tags
crash