Old 06-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Real info from 130 mile cruise in 2006 2700 SE

Just completed my longest excursion on my 06 2700 SE. 350 MPI/Bravo 3. Dana Point, CA to Point Loma and back. Usually I would trailer the beast and launch closer to our destination, but I wanted to give the 131 mile journey a go. I also just replaced the rotors on my Tundra (yes a 2nd generation Tundra can pull this 9000 lb boat/trailer combo) due to corrosion from saltwater boat loading and unloading, so I didnt want to get them wet!

Fuel data, actual MPG was easy to record. I used my GPS to track our course. Topped off gas to get accurate measures on this. Wind and swell were light, traveled at dawn both ways. Temperature was cool so we had canopy up and front and side strato-glass in place. I believe this had an impact on my overall fuel consumption, as well as the fuel and water tanks being full. Myself and girlfriend, surfboards and a couple hundred pounds of standard boat equipment on board.
First leg of the trip was 73 miles. Burned 55 gallons total, appx 4000 RPM most of the time, cruising between 19-21 knots, giving us an average of 1.3 mpg.
Second leg of the trip was 57 miles, burned 38.5 gallons, appx 3600 RPM most of the time, cruising 16-18 knots, giving us an average of 1.5 mpg.

Boattest.com reported double these figures, but they were on a lake, no wind or swell, no water, and 3/8 tank of gas and I imagine no radar arch with bimini and windshield in place. The 2700 SE handled great. We have had several smaller range adventures and this was our biggest yet. I am 3rd owner and she now has 270 hours. Only major repair has been oil pan replacement due to corrosion and poor design of a drain hose attachment. Had to remove arch and pull motor but it was necessary. Next task is to find out where small water leak is. Port side. I dont see any leaks at any thru hulls. I can see exactly which drain tube the water is being delivered from, but where that is routed to I have no idea!!! Drives me nuts because the bilge pump does not get the bottom inch of water and I like to keep a very tidy bilge. Long super soaker squirt gun and a bucket makes the job easier.

Girlfriend and I now want larger boat so someone is going to get a great boat when I sell this one. Just the thought of selling it makes me cringe because it is so well cared for and reliable. I can only hope that my next boat is as great as my current maxum 2700 SE! Note to self, dont get a slip next to bigger nicer boats when your girlfriend is with you.

hole seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
Admiral

hole seeker,
you should not have to back your truck so far down the ramp that you are getting the rotors wet and if you do try flushing them with fresh water as soon as you pull the boat. In my experience toyota rotors rust with the vehical just sitting in rain.

With a 350 at 3600 to 4000 I would expect to burn no more than 10 - 12 gallons an hour.

Well as long as your girlfriend is only interested in the bigger boat in the next slip and not the owner

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Ensign

Trailer tongue is too short. If I dont back down as much as I do, I am forced to winch the beast up carpeted bunks even further. I am uneasy just winching it the last few inches, I couldnt imagine dragging it a few extra feet. Feels like bow eye is gonna rip out of hull, even with reinforced backing plate. (maxum just used a couple washers, most heavy boats would have a heavy duty backing plate I think). I have had several trailer boats, some I didnt even have to get my tires wet, but this trailer is short. I may try silicon on the bunks....I do not wish to power boat on trailer, I launch and retrieve solo and its frowned upon at most ramps. This trailer was not sold with boat new, it was custom ordered by last owner. He had a VW jetta and let the marina use tractor to launch and retrieve for him. I use salt away and freshwater on trailer and truck every launch and retrieve, toyota rotors are known for corrosion.

I will do another controlled fuel test without bimini and strato glass and report back. Tried to upload photos of rig but after 10 minutes of waiting i gave up.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
Admiral

If you can try wetting the bunks when you go to pull the boat, I have heard this helps but I have only had roller trailors.

Mike
Old 06-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Ensign

The bunks are submerged when loading so they are already wet, I am not sure what you mean here.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Admiral

It sounded like without backing the trucks wheels into the water the bunk were not submerged, hence not wet so I was suggesting wetting then down to help ease winching in the boat. Just a suggestion.

Mike